Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with latch on please!

Question Help with latch on please!

My baby is now almost 3 weeks old. I thought the feedings were going well as he was gaining weight and having regular movements. Now my nipples are both cracked and very sore. In re-examining his latch, I think it is too shallow - so he's eating, but killing my nipples in the process. Now I'm afraid he's developed a bad habit that I won't be able to break him from. I keep working on getting him to open up wider for the latch, but he seems to let his bottom jaw move up when he's sucking. My husband has been trying to pull his bottom jaw down once he attaches, but it's still not as wide as it was in the hospital. How can I get my baby to latch with a wider mouth? Any tips?

Default Re: Help with latch on please!

We used a nipple shield for the first 2 months b/c DS had a weak latch. It was hell (tiresome to use, difficult to keep track of, a PITA to use out of the house...), but he weaned off of it at 2.5mo and now eats great. It really helps get DB to open wide around a large nipple and take the nipple all the way in.

There are issues with using shields, too, so it's not the answer to everything. Your best bet is a good LC if you can find one. Also, continue being strict with DB about working on his latch, making him re-latch if necessary. A lot of attention now will make things much easier down the road.

Other than that, keep an eye on diapers/pees & poops. Let me know if you have other questions!

Have you tried finding a LLL leader in your area? I'll bet if there's one close by she'll come to your house to help. Here is the list of states. Click on your state and see if tere's a leader in your area. http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html

If not, try the nipple sandwich technique. http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gSep00p63.html This is an excellent article and hopefully the description will help. If you don't have time to read the whole thing, the nipple sandwich technique is just above The Football or Clutch Position heading. I would not recommend using a nipple shield unless all else fails. They are very hard to wean from. They can be useful if your nipples are hurt badly and need to heal, though, but again only if you can't stand to nurse any other way. My 3rd ds is mildly tongue-tied and has a high palate, so I had the same trouble as you w/ the shallow latch and pain the first few weeks. Once your baby grows and his mouth gets bigger, this problem usually disappears. (((hugs)))
    Last edited by mamallama; February 18th, 2006 at 09:27 AM.

Oh, I also meant to tell you that when I was latching on, I would hold my breast in teh c hold, but stick my ring finger out. It was a very tricky move, but I had to do it when dh wasn't there to help (we have 2 older kids, and dh is a grad student adn rarely home, so it was my normal thing!) When the baby opened his mouth to latch on, I would, in one quick motion, push his chin down more w/ my ring finger and shove my nipple as far as possible into his mouth (in the nipple sandwich way.) HTH!

Oh, and I know it's hard and you get so tired, but if his latch isn't right, take him off (break suction by sticking a finger in the corner of his mouth.) and relatch. Over and over and over if necessary. (As long as he's not starving and getting upset. You'll have to decide when it's worth it and when it's not. THe more you relatch him the better he'll get though.)