Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adderall and BF

Question Adderall and BF

Hi ladies, I have a question, I've been trying to find the Thomas Hale forum page but can't, although I do have his 2010 book, I just don't really understand the whole levels in the baby/milk thing. Not smart enough I guess. I was prescribed 20 mg XR adderall, and I wanted to know if any other moms have had the expierence of taking adderall while BF, I figured I would start taking it, and if I notice a difference in my baby, then I'll stop. That seems to be what Dr Thomas Hale has said from I got...some studies showed higher levels than others, some weren't effected at all...
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Unhappy Re: Adderall and BF

Bump! I have an appointment with Brynleigh's doctor Monday, but he may call tomorrow...and according to their "source" it says it's an L4, when Dr Thompson, well respected and knowledgable right? says it's an L3, oh someone help, I am feeling alot more funtional and better on the adderall...I guess it's just a matter of each different baby and how they respond I guess, you know? Oy..I do NOT want to formula feed..but dang if they are insisting I shouldn't "take the chance", do I just forumla feed then to be a better mom? But then my baby won't be as healthy as I'd like her to be.. I am very confused, and all doctor's suck. (The psychiatrists anyway...ugh, 2 down...more to come, I just need help.) Help..
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

9-25-08

4-30-10

Default Re: Adderall and BF

Can you take something different?

Here is the info on adderall from LactMed

Summary of Use during Lactation:
    In dosages prescribed for medical indications, some evidence indicates that amphetamine or dextroamphetamine might not affect nursing infants adversely. The effect of amphetamine in milk on the neurological development of the infant has not been well studied. It is possible that large dosages of amphetamine might interfere with milk production, especially in women whose lactation is not well established. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date on the safety of breastfeeding during amphetamine abuse.

Drug Levels:
    Maternal Levels. A nursing woman was taking racemic amphetamine 5 mg orally 4 times daily at 10 am, noon, 2 pm and 4 pm for narcolepsy. Trough milk levels of 55 and 68 mcg/L were found before the 10 am dose on days 10 and 42 postpartum, respectively. Milk levels were 118 and 138 mcg/L before the 2 pm doses on days 10 and 42, respectively.[1]

Four mothers averaging 5.5 months postpartum (range 3.3 to 10 months)were taking dextroamphetamine in an average dosage of 18 mg daily (range 15 to 45 mg daily in 2 to 4 divided doses) for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The median milk level was 219 mcg/L (range 66 to 313 mcg/L) which resulted in an infant dosage of 21 mcg/kg (range 11 to 39 mcg/kg) daily or 5.7% (range 4 to 10.6%) of the maternal weight-adjusted dosage.[2]

Infant Levels. Amphetamine was measured in a 12-hour urine collection in a breastfed infant whose mother was taking racemic amphetamine 5 mg 4 times daily. The infant's urinary excretion of amphetamine ranged from 0.1 to 0.3% of the mother's urinary excretion.[1]

Dextroamphetamine blood levels were measured in 3 breastfed infants. The mothers of these 3 infants were taking an average of 392 mcg/kg daily of dextroamphetamine. Blood levels in 2 infants were 2 and 18 mcg/L, corresponding to 6 and 14% of the maternal plasma level. The plasma level of the third infant was <1 mcg/L. The times of blood collection were not stated.[2]

Effects in Breastfed Infants:
    The author of a 1973 newsletter reported a personal communication from the drug manufacturer which stated that of 103 nursing mothers treated with dextroamphetamine (dosage unspecified) for postpartum depression, no infant showed any evidence of stimulation or insomnia.[3]

One infant whose mother was being treated for narcolepsy with racemic amphetamine 5 mg 4 times daily was exposed to the drug in milk for the (unspecified) duration of breastfeeding. There were no signs of abnormal development during the first 2 years of life.[1]

Four mothers averaging 5.5 months postpartum (range 3.3 to 10 months) were taking dextroamphetamine in an average dosage of 18 mg daily (range 15 to 45 mg daily in 2 to 4 divided doses) for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Their infants had been breastfed (extent not stated) since birth. The infants all had weights between the 10th and 75th percentiles for their age, normal progress, and no adverse effects according to their pediatricians. Denver developmental ages for 2 of the infants were 100% and 117% of normal.[2]

Possible Effects on Lactation:
    In 2 papers by the same authors, 20 women with normal physiologic hyperprolactinemia were studied on days 2 or 3 postpartum. Eight received dextroamphetamine 7.5 mg intravenously, 6 received 15 mg intravenously and 6 who served as controls received intravenous saline. The 7.5 mg dose reduced serum prolactin by 25 to 32% compared to control, but the difference was not statistically significant. The 15 mg dose significantly decreased serum prolactin by 30 to 37% at times after the infusion. No assessment of milk production was presented.[4][5] The authors also quoted data from another study showing that a 20 mg oral dose of dextroamphetamine produced a sustained suppression of serum prolactin by 40% in postpartum women. The maternal prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.

In a retrospective Australian study, mothers who used intravenous amphetamines during pregnancy were less likely to be breastfeeding their newborn infants at discharge than mothers who abused other drugs (27% vs 42%). The cause of this difference was not determined.[6]

AAP Category:
    Not listed as a therapeutic agent. It is listed as a drug that should not be used as a drug of abuse by nursing mothers.[7]

Alternate Drugs to Consider:
    Methylphenidate
    And here is the link to Dr Hale's online webforum.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

You have to do what is best for you and your family. I am right there with you on understanding all the half life and whatever else it is that they write in ancient Greek! It took me weeks to finally break down and take my allergy meds cause I didn't want to affect the baby.

Personally, I don't think I would risk it, but that is just my opinion and I wouldn't judge you for yours. I would hold out on taking them until at least 6 months and then start pills/formula if I felt I needed them, but would probably try and hold off to a year to start cows milk. But good luck with your choice, and hopefully someone else has more info than me.
    DD born 02/23/10 7lbs 7ozs - 18.5 inches
    1 week 7lbs 2ozs - 20.75 inches (I think the hospital measured wrong)
    2 weeks 7lbs 14ozs - 22.5 inches
    8 weeks 10lbs 14ozs - 23.5 inches
    11 weeks 11lbs 15ozs
    4 months 13lbs 15ozs - 26 inches

DSS - 50% custody - 04/03/07
    DSS - occasional wknds most holidays and all summer - 11/16/00
    DSD - occasional wknds most holidays and all summer - 06/02/99

I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

There are several non-stimulant drugs used for ADHD nowadays. Have you tried any of them? They may be safer to allow you to continue breastfeeding.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Smile Re: Adderall and BF

Jezelbel no I haven't, but if I ever find a psychiatrist who cares more about his patients than money I will ask.. And Hillary thank you very much for that added post from LactMed, my husband is going to print them both out tomorrow, and I am going to bring my 2010 Medications and Mothers Milk by Dr Hale in on our appointment on Monday. I called and the nurse or lady wheoever (always imposibble to speak to the doctor, I'm so sick of that) but she's like "Oh..well from our "source" here it considers it an L4" while Dr Hale considers it an L3, I'm interested to find out what their source is. All I can say is besides my cold I am fighting due to overactivity (mind body and soul) and little help, the adderall has been working quite well for me the last few days. I don't want to have to lie to my doctors about it... but on the other hand they're like "Well not enough studies have been done, it could or could not effect her...blah blah" It's like ok, well how about I try it for a month, and if we notice my baby doesn't want to sleep well anymore or shortens her appetite, we stop? Right? Geesus... I have to say, I was a coke addict 5 years ago and that is buried past in my life, but I have seen so many psyichiatrists, never found one who worked for me until 3 years ago, moved to Cali and now that we're back he no longer accepts my insurance, dandy. So now I'm on the hunt, and I don't know if any of you ladies have expierenced this...like psycholoigcal "disorders" issues, that need to be tended to immedietely, time is OF THE ESSENSE and I don't have the 'time' to go from doctor to doctor until I find a match...boy am I frustrated. Anyway, thanks alot Hillary, and kind words of encouragement would be so appreciated now..I'm having it so rough. Thanks all.

9-25-08

4-30-10

Just one day at a time mama.

You should also try emailing Dr Jack Newman. He has always answered my emails right away, once even on a Sunday!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Smile Re: Adderall and BF

Ooo sweet idea, may I have his email address? I sure hope my pediatrician is familiar with these guys..afterall he was recommended by one of my LLL Leaders and hightly noted to be well educated about BF'ing and such, I hope he hears my words and thoughts...unlikes those grumblin bleep'n no good psychiatristst I saw Thanks again mama.

9-25-08

4-30-10

Here is the webform to send him an email.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel