Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Call me superficial...

Red face Call me superficial...

but I've been thinking a lot about what it will be like to have my breasts back.

Not in the sense that I'm looking forward to weaning, or even planning on when to do it, but just wondering what my breasts will be like when it finally takes place.

I've pretty much been nursing or pregnant the past 11 years, and have nursed all four of my daughters at least 1.5 years... 3 of which went past 2.5 years.

I LOVE nursing my girlies, but have noticed some changes in my breasts over the years.

Namely the fact that the left one is noticeably larger, even though I thought I was always careful to nurse evenly on both sides, as well as the fact that they're starting to resemble deflated balloons.

So, my weaning related (somewhat superficial) question is:
    When the time comes to wean (DD is 26 months right now and not showing any signs of slowing down) is there anything I can do to ensure a non-lopsided non-deflated bosom like I used to have? (34D and full of fun. )

Also, are there things I can do now while I'm still nursing to help my chances of having even breasts when all is said and done?

HELP!!!?
    APing SAHM to 4 beautiful young ladies.
    EBFing my sweet DD#4 and HSing the older 3 and loving (nearly) every minute of it.

Default Re: Call me superficial...

I've only nursed 2, but they were very lopsided while I was nursing. To the point where I couldn't wear certain shirts because they'd pull the neckline all out of whack and it was really ridiculously obvious.

Anyhoo, point being I weaned and within about 5 months or so they were back to (nearly) the same size. One was always slightly larger even before nursing and pregnancy so they are back to that same mild, not so noticeable lopsidedness.

Slightly flatter and don't quite 'look you in the eye' the way they used to, but not too bad overall.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

No advice, but you are a goddess
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

There were about 6 years in between nursing DS1 and DS2 so my breasts had some recovery time

Mine definately shrunk after nursing but not back to the C I had pre-babies. More to a D. And they were floppy, I won't lie. Not perky and nice like before but still not inflated and down pointing like they are while nursing so I could deal with it.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Thanks for the replies mamas!

I am still hoping someone knows a secret way to even things out prior to weaning, as well as to make sure I don't end up smaller than I was pre-babies. (DH liked my 34Ds and misses them terribly since they are like deflated balloons most of the time. ROFL!)

I'm sure I have plenty of time to figure it out as DD#4 is still going strong, but I really am hoping someone will know if there is anything I should be doing now while we're still nursing? DD doesn't prefer one side or the other, so should I double up and nurse more often on the smaller side or keep trying to nurse evenly?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I've only nursed 2, but they were very lopsided while I was nursing. To the point where I couldn't wear certain shirts because they'd pull the neckline all out of whack and it was really ridiculously obvious.
    That's how it is for me at this point! I wish it weren't so obvious, but hopefully they'll even out a bit with time?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    don't quite 'look you in the eye' the way they used to
    Ah yes, the good ol' days when they were where they were supposed to be! LOL!!
    (though TBH, mine have never been quite as perky as my smaller chested friends were. d'oh. haha)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    No advice, but you are a goddess
    Thanks mama! BFing is such an amazing bond/blessing! I wouldn't change a thing! Well, except that I would have probably tried to tandem nurse my two middle daughters who were 16 months apart so DD#2 could have nursed longer. I'm not sure if it's related at all to her not nursing past a year and a half, but so far she's the only one who struggles a bit with her weight?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmamaof3 View Post
    There were about 6 years in between nursing DS1 and DS2 so my breasts had some recovery time

Mine definately shrunk after nursing but not back to the C I had pre-babies. More to a D. And they were floppy, I won't lie. Not perky and nice like before but still not deflated and down pointing like they are while nursing so I could deal with it.
    Thanks for the encouragement. If mine could end up like yours did I would be TOTALLY happy, as would DH! LOL!!
    APing SAHM to 4 beautiful young ladies.
    EBFing my sweet DD#4 and HSing the older 3 and loving (nearly) every minute of it.

I was pregnant or nursing someone from 1986 to 2004, with a few years off for good behavior, but the point is my breasts look fine now that they've had time to re-group. they've evened out in size, they are not droopy and the nipples returned to a less darkened colour. so all in all breastfeeding five kids hasn't ruined them.

Do you ever do any weightlifting? I've heard that working your chest (like chest presses, push-ups, etc.) can help "lift" your boobies. Not sure if it's officially true. Mine are definitely smaller than before I had babies and nursed, but they aren't too floppy and I'm wondering if it's because i workout and do chest exercises... it's supposed to give you a natural lift???

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

You can definitely strengthen/tighten the muscles in your chest, but if your breast tissue is stretched/saggy, I don't know if exercise will help. My mom compares it to nailing a slinky to a wooden board.