Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Great Solid Food Debate

Default Re: The Great Solid Food Debate

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*henrysmom2010 View Post
    I have a friend with a baby a week younger than mine. She was desperate for her baby to sleep longer (and she was formula feeding too, just goes to show that formula doesn't guarantee a longer sleep either). She gave her baby rice cereal in the bottle at about 8 or 10 weeks old, and continued on with it. (I don't agree with this, but for our friendship's sake couldn't say anything ). Anyways, the rice cereal had NO EFFECT on her baby's sleeping patterns . So that's my only experience with starting rice cereal early. Putting it in a bottle is worse than spoon feeding it IMHO, because baby can't regulater their intake, but that's a whole other issue! I'm skipping the rice cereal also, and am starting with mashed banana.
    while the AAP recently decided that delaying allergenic foods wasn't the best advice, i HAVE read studies that link cereal in the bottle started too early with childhood obesity and diabetes. it interferes with their ability to know when they're full, somehow, and self-regulate. hopefully you can find a tactful way to pass that along to your friend.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

We have/had an old school, crappy pediatrician, who told us to add cereal to the boys bottles for reflux and then as soon as the boys turned 4 months, told us to start solids ASAP. I did hold off on solids until a few days ago (the boys are almost 7 months) and with them, one is ready, while the other one isn't quite there yet.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

We did RC for my first one at around the same age, but it was in no way a replacement for BM. I did find, however, I could stretch out the feedings just a little bit by giving a few teaspoons of it every now and them. Like if I was going on an errand and I wanted to be able to get through it without having to sit down and nurse him that second I would give the RC after we nursed. It worked a bit that way.

I'm trying to think if we used it at night and I don't think that we did. I co-slept and he nursed at leisure at night if needed. So it never really bothered me if he didn't STTN at that age.

By all means a few teaspoons of RC isn't going to harm anything, as long as you understand it's not like magic in a box...

My first one started STTN after 15 months, and my second one has been doing it since 3 months. Every kid is different!!!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eris View Post
    Gut development is the primary reason to wait until six months (or close too at least). Other developmental signs already noted prior are important as well, but your pedi saying people are "full of it" is clinging to his old methods and not paying attention to current research. Tell your husband you are following the AAP guidelines, which is the American authority on infant nutrition and care, and they recommend not starting solids until six months. Tell him if he can produce a scientifically based argument on why you should ignore their advice you'd love to hear it. He won't be able to, and maybe he'll read up a little in the search (in my experience, most people challenged like that decline to do the research though).
    Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    We did RC for my first one at around the same age, but it was in no way a replacement for BM. I did find, however, I could stretch out the feedings just a little bit by giving a few teaspoons of it every now and them. Like if I was going on an errand and I wanted to be able to get through it without having to sit down and nurse him that second I would give the RC after we nursed. It worked a bit that way.

My first one started STTN after 15 months, and my second one has been doing it since 3 months. Every kid is different!!!!!
    Husband's theory is that since it's harder to digest than BM, it may stay with him longer and he won't wake up. Still not sure I'm going to try it yet, but it's good to know when people do try it and don't have any adverse effects.

With regard to your last comment...I agree every kid is different. Apparently my little sister (3 years difference) STTN before I did, so I hope my son isn't like me in that way!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmom0301 View Post
    Husband's theory is that since it's harder to digest than BM, it may stay with him longer and he won't wake up. Still not sure I'm going to try it yet, but it's good to know when people do try it and don't have any adverse effects.
    A cheeseburger would probably stay with him all night but that doesn't mean that it is good for him. Not trying to be a smart *ss but just saying that just becuase it will take longer for him to digest doesn't mean it will be better for him. Think about it this way- do you feel full longer after a very heavy greasy meal or after a nutritious salad and fish? Which is better for you? Same idea.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )