Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OS/OALD on one side only

Default OS/OALD on one side only

I have OALD and OS. It used to be on both sides, but now it's really bad on one side only. I still leak on both sides occasionally, but my left side is pretty bad. I really believe the OS is of my own doing (I started pumping at 3 weeks PP to build a freezer stash, and when I went back to work I pumped both sides at the same time even though he was only nursing on one side at a time), but I can't seem to fix it. I have tried block feeding, but it's not helping. Usually I wait several hours (a minimum of 2, usually more like 4) before letting DS switch sides. He NEVER takes both breasts. When I put him on the left side, he nurses until let down, always pulls off, and I routinely soak at least one, if not two, burp cloths before it stops spraying out.

I leak like crazy. Yesterday I started leaking in Target, looked in my shirt, and my breast was spraying milk out. I had to stuff a burp cloth in my top, because I'm in denial and hardly ever remember to wear breast pads. When I do wear them, I almost always soak through and leak onto my shirt anyway. And this morning, I was wearing DS in the sling and seriously within 2 or 3 hours, when I took him out of the sling, I had leaked so badly that I had soaked my shirt, my sling, and his onesie and we both needed to change clothes.

I feel like a total jerk going to breastfeeding support groups or LLL meetings and listening to women worry and sometimes cry because they can't make enough milk, and then I have to admit that I can pump 8 ounces in one session and can't make myself STOP making milk. DS was 5#, 9ozs at birth and is now 12#,11 at 10.5 weeks. Clearly, he's getting PLENTY of milk.

So... what do I do? More intensive block feeding? Cabbage leaves? I'm secretly terrified of decreasing my supply, because I go back to work (I'm a teacher) in August and I'll be pumping and I am afraid that will decrease my supply and I'll get into an undersupply situation. I am committed to BFing until it's no longer mutually beneficial - I'm seriously hoping for BLW, so I need to find a happy balance.

Default Re: OS/OALD on one side only

Right there with you. I had the same problem at first. My right breast makes one and a half times what my left does and I had really bad OALD on that side at first too. You are on the right track with the block feeding but I think you need to take it a little farther. Can you let your LO only feed on that side once every 4 hours? So instead of traditional block feeding which will decrease supply in both breasts becuase you are switching every 4 hours or so just let him nurse off that breast once every 4 hours and use the other one the rest of the time. you could try the cabbage leaves also- I have never tried them. it will even out and get better with time.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Jessica - I can try that! I don't know why I never thought about doing that.

I am a little worried that all of the leakage and spraying is sending the message to make more milk, though.

Unfortunately I don't know of anything to stop the leakage. However I have heard of a couple of devices that you can use to catch the leakage so you can at least save that milk. I will see if I can dig up that link.
    Jessica

Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.

I'm not sure I want to do much about collecting the leaking milk and saving it. He already has green poops 3 or more times a week (sometimes he'll have one every day for a few days) and I worry he's not getting enough hindmilk as it is because he's filling up on foremilk, at least when I nurse him on the left side. I almost never see anything other than watery, almost-blue-it's-so-clear milk on that side, even when I hand express a few drops after nursing. The pedi told me not to worry about this because he's gaining so well, but he's nursing every 2 hours or more during the day and every 3-4 at night, so I wonder if he's not getting satisfied when he nurses and I'm engorged.
    Alexis, a mama to Conor, 4/29/10

Actually it is totally normal for your LO to want to nurse every two hours or so. BM digests in about 90 minutes and babies tummies are tiny.
    Jessica

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    Actually it is totally normal for your LO to want to nurse every two hours or so. BM digests in about 90 minutes and babies tummies are tiny.
    Good to know! I feel like I'm the only one in the world *still* nursing a 10 week old that often.

That probably comes because one of my BFing friends, her pediatrician told her that at 2 months she needed to start spacing feedings to every 4 hours and giving water in between, because 2 hours was too often to nurse a baby "that old." I know how absurd that is, but I also don't ever feel sure that we're doing the "right" thing - so much second guessing as a first-time mom! (PS - my kid, 3 months younger than hers, is only a few pounds lighter at this point, probably because she no longer nurses on demand. But he's a healthy chunker!)
    Alexis, a mama to Conor, 4/29/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*atomic.poppy View Post
    That probably comes because one of my BFing friends, her pediatrician told her that at 2 months she needed to start spacing feedings to every 4 hours and giving water in between, because 2 hours was too often to nurse a baby "that old."
    What absurd c**p. I am often amazed at the stupid advice given to women about BF from people in the medical profession. It is like they think becuase they have an MD behind thier names they feel qualified to comment on everything under the sun- even things they have no freaking clue about.
    Anyway I think you are doing an awesome job- keep up the good work and enjoy your LO. They grow up way too fast.
    Jessica