Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13oz in 3 months

Default 13oz in 3 months

DD went for a sick baby appt yesterday. It was at the Saturday clinic so a different scale. But she is exactly 13.5oz heaver than she was at her 6 month appt. And she is 9 months. We are increasing the amount of solid food she gets (because she loves it and whines if we eat and she doesn't), but she still eats an average of every 2-3hrs day and night. She is getting the same amount of bm at DC as she has since she first went.

She is an extremely active child and crawls, pulls to standing, cruises and is starting to stand on her own (I think we are at about 30 seconds before she starts to fall). She runs around the house like a mad thing. She is rarely away from the breast for more than an hour, but she will have a couple of long naps a day (especially when we go out and she sleeps in the ergo). She loves to swap boobs over and over - she prefers to switch feed. She is at the age where she does breast compressions herself if she feels it is needed.

I tend to overworry this stuff as I had an unhealthily skinny DS and very low supply. But DS looked underweight. he was skin and bone. No fat, no flesh at all in some places. Count every rib, scrawny arms and legs, no bracelets or dimples etc. DD just looks delicate. She has bracelets and thighs and a little tummy. When she sits there are little boobs.

She has her 9 month well baby in a couple of weeks. I think her ped will be fine (she tends to be of the as long as there is some gain it is fine mentality), but I am worried. I am starting to suspect there might be a slight wheat intolerance (but not celiac) would that make a difference. She is definitely looking like she has asthma. I know from experience that that can make it hard to gain weight - but I thought that was because it was making it hard for DS to sleep - she sleeps pretty normally)

Talk me down from the panic llladies.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Default Re: 13oz in 3 months

She sounds just fine to me! My son gained 12 ounces between his 6 month and 9 month appointments; and between 6 months and a year, he gained less than 2.5 pounds. They really, really do slow their gain after 6 months.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Try not to panic (easier said than done, I know! ). Thomas gained a total of about 6 ounces between his 6- and 9-month checkups, and I was frantic. He has always been small, and I just knew I was starving him. His pediatrician was not worried, and said that he's built like his dad, long and lean, and that he was growing exactly the way he was supposed to (and she mentioned something about me making myself crazy ).

We were told not to worry about slow weight gain unless there was a decrease of 2 standard deviations on the growth curve. What was her weight at 6 months?

That said, I have learned over the years to try to tune into my intuition about these things -- if it feels like the worry is coming from your brain thinking about it, then it may be worth trusting in the pediatrician's perspective. If it feels like the worry is coming form that place that is hard to touch in on, that just sort of tells you something is not quite right here, then I would be inclined to listen to that and explore it a bit more.

IMHO, people tend to assume that high needs kids are that way solely because of personality, but I am beginning to be of the opinion that there is often an underlying physical issue that is at least accentuating the high needs. That's not to say that one should dig and test and go insane trying to figure out what that underlying issues might be, but simply that our bodies are inextricably connected to our minds, and babies can't tell us that they are short tempered and frenetic or whatever because their bodies are having a hard time with something. We can listen, and observe and explore...and then all we can do is what we can do, that impossible to articulate balance between seeking and accepting...
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lorenzomama View Post
    IMHO, people tend to assume that high needs kids are that way solely because of personality, but I am beginning to be of the opinion that there is often an underlying physical issue that is at least accentuating the high needs. That's not to say that one should dig and test and go insane trying to figure out what that underlying issues might be, but simply that our bodies are inextricably connected to our minds, and babies can't tell us that they are short tempered and frenetic or whatever because their bodies are having a hard time with something.
    My daughter was high needs. A very difficult baby (and little girl). It wasn't until she was, oh, eight or ten, maybe, that we discovered that she had sensory integration disorder that was really set off by food allergies. I wish I had known when she was little. And when my son came along later, I started seeing some of the exact same behaviors and reactions in him. If I hadn't had the experience I did with my daughter, I would have concluded that he was also high needs. But I recognized the symptoms of food reaction and was able to modify our diet to relieve them. He turned out to be a super easygoing little guy, actually, not high needs as it looked at first.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Lorenzomama, you have a point. Teal, if we had figured out all of DS's stuff maybe I would be able to working things out with DD.

Her weight gain was dropping her down the charts at 6 months too, but they assumed that is was because of the high activity crawling etc. Mind you, that was the evil dr who said babies "should" be sleeping 8hrs a night because our ped was on maternity leave.

I think it is me overthinking it. DD is less [almost] everything than DS. She sleeps better (which means a few wake ups a night and two decent length naps). She is closer to "normal" on the activity charts (mobile at 4.5 months not 3). Less emaciated (not at all really when looked at objectively). I didn't even realize she was high needs until DC made a couple of comments. She is more dramatic and no less strong willed though. And definitely no less bright.

I feel I cannot trust my mommy-instinct totally because of the PPD. I trust myself when I know that something is just totally wrong, but when it is a niggle that is different. Maybe she will be able to articulate the things which are bothering her more quickly

The ped and I had talked about making her 9 mo visit about allergies and asthma. We will just add this in the mix.

Something I am really glad about is that DD is much more in tune with her body than DS (or I) ever was. As a newborn she knew when she was wet/dirty, hungry or tired. DD never did. He still has no idea when he is hungry (like his mama) or tired.
    Last edited by @llli*durhamgrrl; July 11th, 2010 at 05:26 PM.

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Come on down out of the panic tree, Mama. If your LO has fat boobies when she sits down, and the bracelets and the chub on her thighs, I think she's okay. I know it's hard to trust that everything is fine when you've had a prior rough experience.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just in case you were wondering the ped gave me a lecture about worrying when DD was so obviously perfect looking. She said (and I quote) "look at the baby and not at the scale, if she has chub rolls she can not be underweight". I our ped.

Family beds are awesome

Yay! So nice to hear that someone is having good experiences with their ped. Usually it's and OMG supplement that baby, she's not morbidly obese yet!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am going to embarrass myself here - this is the kid who's weight I worry about. She doesn't really deserve to be called lean does she?

I would size it down but I have only (after years) learned to post these things

Family beds are awesome