Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blisters

Default Blisters

I have milk blisters (well it really looks that way based on info read).
    when lo is eating it hurts, have tried different positions. I am thinking about pumping only on that side..I also have a "let down" feeling that i didn't have before..

What should I look for if I needed to see dr about it?
    Would it be alright to pump? What can I do to help the blisters heal?

I don't know what's going on but she was extremly fussy or something tonight. I know that there is milk as it comes out when i message the breast.

Breastfeeding is tougher than I ever imagined.
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Default Re: Blisters

I know how painful milk blisters can be, as I've had them several times.

This information was very valuable to me:

How do you treat a milk blister?

For me, the epsom salt soaks were by far the most effective treatment. After days of trying to resolve the blisters with other strategies, the epsom salt worked in just a few hours (3 soaks or so).

Hope this helps! Best of luck...

Proud Mother of ThreePrecious Children

Calder Anwyn
    February 21, 2006
    Nursed Until 18 Months
    Ewan Walker
    May 31, 2008
    Nursed Until 15 Months
    Reed Bennett
    February 26, 2011
    Off to a beautiful start...!

I sympathize, I also had three milk blisters during DD's first month so I know how much they hurt! What helped for me was placing a towel soaked with hot water - as hot as I could stand - before DD nursed. Basically whenever she'd start getting hungry, usually 30 min or an hour after her last meal, I'd run to get hot water and apply the towel while my mom or DH soothed baby, and after 5-10 minutes I'd nurse her. If I remember correctly milk blisters are caused by clogged ducts, and the warmth helps get the milk flowing together with the baby's sucking, and the blisters will gradually heal. Good luck! Breastfeeding is very, very tough the first month or two but the rewards will come soon, I promise

Quote Originally Posted by LizzyDarcy View Post
    If I remember correctly milk blisters are caused by clogged ducts, and the warmth helps get the milk flowing together with the baby's sucking, and the blisters will gradually heal. Good luck! Breastfeeding is very, very tough the first month or two but the rewards will come soon, I promise
    It has been a really tough road w/ bf and my lo is 4.5 mo and hubby doesn't help and thinks that it is just too hard and wants to give her Formula {} Men can be such babies, it's like they want easy and not what's best
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old