Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething/painful nipple - HELP!

Unhappy Teething/painful nipple - HELP!

My son is almost a year old (I can't believe it!). He, unfortunately, tends to scrape his teeth on me some of the time when he's nursing. It's not a case of "nice suck, suck, suck - BITE!" He only has 4 teeth - and the top two were MISERABLE for everyone - so we have a long way to go. I finally got our LC on the phone for a few minutes yesterday, and she said he's teething on me, unfortunately. She said to keep trying all the things I've been trying - the frozen washcloth, letting him bite clean burp cloths, the teething necklace I wear every day so he can bite that when he's on my lap, teething tablets, Tylenol or Motrin drops, numbing cream on his gums as a last resort, etc. She said that some kids are just bad teethers... which I think is, unfortunately for me, the case with my son. We're not planning to stop nursing any time soon - I actually think my son is more dependent on it now than he was a couple of months ago - but at times, IT HURTS, almost no matter what I do! It's very frustrating.

The latest is that yesterday, I probably let him scrape his teeth on me a little too much when he nursed before dinner. I was a bit sore later, but I've dealt with that before and didn't think much of it. I gave him the cloths to chew on and gave him teething tablets before bed to try to help the situation. However, when he nursed before bed, he bit me a bit more, but it hurt A LOT on the one side especially. I have a lumpy area under the right side of my nipple. I'm not sure if it's just a slightly blocked duct (I've had problems on that side, most notably a milk blister last weekend) that has to work itself out with the help of some ibuprofen and more nursing, or if he may have done some tissue damage.

The other thing is that he usually prefers nursing sitting up and being able to switch sides willy-nilly as he prefers, so while I could try, it would be very hard to nurse him only on one side, given the yelling that will result.

Obviously I'm not planning to stop nursing any time soon, otherwise this wouldn't be such a big deal. But he doesn't eat a huge amount of solids relative to his age (he has breakfast, lunch, and dinner most days), especially when he's teething. So I think for both nutrition and emotional reasons it's important that we figure out how to deal with this latest sore area for me, as well as the teething/nursing issues generally.

If anyone has any thoughts for me, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

Default Re: Teething/painful nipple - HELP!

At a year old your LO is old enough to understand that when he does something it gets a reaction. At this age if he started to scrape his teeth I would unlatch, tell him that hurts mommy and go back to nursing in a minute. I think he would probably learn pretty quickly that scraping his teeth on mommy's nipple means no more nursing.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I know how you feel! My baby is 7 mos and has cut 7 teeth in the last three months! A couple of weeks ago he started to gnaw on me while we nurse (his top side two teeth a coming in) and I got very tender. It felt like the first few weeks of nursing all over again

I went back to the basics. It has solved the problem! I knew his latch was sloppy and by making sure he has as much breast in his mouth as possible he can't gnaw on me like he did.

9 yrs. w/ DH
    mother to Dylan
    11/27/2009 ~ 7 lbs. 3 oz. ~ 20 & 1/2 inches

and and

we're almost to THREE YEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    At a year old your LO is old enough to understand that when he does something it gets a reaction. At this age if he started to scrape his teeth I would unlatch, tell him that hurts mommy and go back to nursing in a minute. I think he would probably learn pretty quickly that scraping his teeth on mommy's nipple means no more nursing.

this is what we did. ds had 2 teeth at 4.5 months and now at 9 months he has 7. when he chomps down on me, i firmly say no! no biting! that hurts mommy! (he usually thinks this is hilarious) and let him relatch. if he does it again, i repeat myself and set him down for a few minutes with something for him to chew on. when we resume our session it's rare that he'll try biting again. i have also heard (not tried) that pushing them into the breast while they are clamping down will make them release

sounds like you have tried everything to help his teething...have you tried the baltic amber necklace for lo to wear? my ds wears one everyday and teething has been a breeze for him. not sure if it's just his nature or it's the necklace. he's been wearing it everyday since about 4 months. i notice a huge difference in his temperment if i forget to put it on him in the morning.

good luck
    FTM to Cypress Levon born all natural 10/5/09

Happily
    and while I work

My DS1 got his first tooth at 3 months, so we dealt with teething forever. Honestly at 1 I would be firm with him or it will continue.

Tell him 'no biting' or 'ouchie on momma' and unlatch him and sit him down on the floor. Stay consistent.

DS1 had bit me several times and I eventually had to gently flick him on the cheek while saying 'NO' and he stopped.

It does get better, promise!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09