Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm done...there I said it. I feel awful.

Default Re: I'm done...there I said it. I feel awful.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    You can nurse once a day if that is what works for you and your daughter. You don't have to either breastfeed or not breastfeed. Do what works for you.
    Will my supply keep up if I only breastfeed a couple times a day? I don't want to cut her off cold turkey, that would be devastating to her. Her favorite nursing sessions are right we we reunite after work, to go down for a nap or bedtime, and middle of the night. I think I am going to start Dr. Gordon's method (that's his name right?) to try to night wean.

I had a really nice talk with my husband about nursing Madeline tonight as well as thinking of all the advice you all have given me, and I am just going to slow down, and take our time on this. She is only a baby once and if year 2 is anything like year one, it will be over in the blink of an eye.

Current goals over the next couple of months---> pump wean and night wean.

Let's see how this will go!
    Proud Mama of Madeline Jade 7/31/09 and Sydney Anna 6/04/12. Married to My sweetie since 2000.
    Sydney and like crazy while holding down a busy full time job!

Good plan momma, I bet just working on it will help you feel better about the whole thing.

And to answer your question yes, you can just nurse once or twice a day. Our bodies are amazingly smart and it will produce milk when you need it. The whole last year of nursing my DS1 we only nursed at bedtime and no other time. That's what worked for us.

The pp is right, after the first year bfing is what you want it to be. And give yourself props!!! You made it a year!!!! !!!!!!!!!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*klb1977 View Post
    Will my supply keep up if I only breastfeed a couple times a day? I don't want to cut her off cold turkey, that would be devastating to her. Her favorite nursing sessions are right we we reunite after work, to go down for a nap or bedtime, and middle of the night. I think I am going to start Dr. Gordon's method (that's his name right?) to try to night wean.
    Your supply won't be what it is, but it won't need to be. Remember, supply and demand. If she is only demanding 2 or 3 nursing sessions, roughly the same time of day, that's what your body will produce. However, skipping one of those sessions a few times might decrease it, so some consistency is important. My daughter weaned because my supply was gone and she wasn't interested in comfort nursing. Once the milk was gone, she was done with me.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*klb1977 View Post

I had a really nice talk with my husband about nursing Madeline tonight as well as thinking of all the advice you all have given me, and I am just going to slow down, and take our time on this. She is only a baby once and if year 2 is anything like year one, it will be over in the blink of an eye.

Current goals over the next couple of months---> pump wean and night wean.

Let's see how this will go!

Sounds perfect mama! You can do it! Good for you!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

That does sound like a good plan. Gradual is absolutely the best way to go with weaning. It'll be less upsetting to your DD, and maybe just seeing that you're making progress toward it will make it easier for you to cope.

It might help to keep in mind that weaning is not about taking anything away from your daughter. It's about substituting other things -- other types of food, other expressions of love, other fun activities -- in place of nursing. When you're ready to drop a nursing session, think about what will take its place. She may accept it easily or she may need encouragement and time to get used to it, or she may let you know that she is really not ready for the change.

You might find that with some changes in the routine you'll be able to enjoying nursing for a little while longer, or you might not, but like kst.7399 said, there are no rules. Just take it as it comes.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--