Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working, pumping, nursing beyond 1 year

Default Working, pumping, nursing beyond 1 year

My sweet boy will be 1 on 7/28. I have been working part-time (2 12 hour shifts/week) and pumping while I'm at work and he takes the EBM. I have no intentions of weaning until he's ready. I don't see the point in giving him cow milk. I will still nurse him when we are together. He is about 28 lbs now and thriving on mostly BM. He nurses every 3-4 hours and at least 3 times at night. He's not very interested in solids. Here are my questions/ dilemmas:

1. Does anyone have any experience continuing to pump at work after baby is 1 year? Did you get any grief from your employer? I know that with the new Obama healthcare stuff there is a federal law to allow us to pump until baby turns 1, but that's it.

2. If I do continue pumping and have baby take my EBM while I'm at work, should he take it from sippy cup or is it ok to continue with bottle?

Thanks.

Default Re: Working, pumping, nursing beyond 1 year

My LO is 16 months old and I just pump weaned a couple of weeks ago only because 1) I have a huge freezer stash and 2) I get to nurse him on my lunch. I haven't encountered any problems with pumping after one but my work is pretty laid back about it. As for the sippy cup vs bottle thing that is a personal decision. My LO started to refuse a bottle at around 9 months so he has been on a sippy cup since then.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jkmmama View Post
    1. Does anyone have any experience continuing to pump at work after baby is 1 year? Did you get any grief from your employer? I know that with the new Obama healthcare stuff there is a federal law to allow us to pump until baby turns 1, but that's it.
    I pumped untl DD was 14 months. She stopped drinking the bottle, so I quit pumping. I didn't get any greif about it at work. No one said anything and we don't even get breaks besides lunch (unless you smoke). I would think if you get regular breaks they have no say of what you decide to do on those breaks. I wouldn't worry about it until the time comes unless you anticipate a problem.

2. If I do continue pumping and have baby take my EBM while I'm at work, should he take it from sippy cup or is it ok to continue with bottle?
    Thanks.
    I kept the bottle but you could do a sippy cup if you wanted to. But if the bottle is working, I don't think you have to change. Other people may have a different opinion on that. It's just a feeding tool IMO, not like he will be walking around with it all day and it's not like he can't drink from a cup. My DD drank water from a sippy cup.

You could also pump wean if you want to and when you are ready. Like I said I stopped at 14 months. My DD was eating solids and drinking water from a cup I was comfortable knowing she wouldn't starve. Plus she didn't want the bottle anymore. I never introduced cows milk because she was and is still nursing the min. 3-4 times per day. Now she's 2 and askes for moo-milk so when she asks I give it to her. I feel like I'm forgetting something
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Has your employer given you grief about pumping before? It's a law in my state that my employer has to provide me access to a clean, non-bathroom, private room and (unpaid) break time to pump. It says nothing about up to a certain age. They wouldn't have cared if I'd pumped until Lilah was 18...

Also, you're really focused on your baby's age and birthday - but chances are that people at work won't realize he's over 1.

You can pump or not pump and still nurse on demand when you are together. I stopped pumping in December and we still nurse on demand Friday through Sunday and all night long every night. We did stop the bottle at 14 months when she stopped getting EBM, but she never really liked it anyway.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My LO turned one 6/19 and I'm still pumping. I haven't pumped at work in a while. I pump in my car on my way home from work and get enough for 2 4 ounce bottles the next day. My employer frowned on me pumping while at work and we don't have a place to pump other than the bathroom so I have always pumped in my car. We have less than 50 employees so they do not have to allow me to pump at all or provide a place.

As for the bottle/sippy...depends on the day. LO will sometimes take a bottle, sometimes he takes a sippy and sometimes he wants a regular cup. Recently he has been demanding a cup with a straw.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

I think it depends on your employer and the kind of job you have. My boss never would have said a peep about my pumping, but I pump weaned because I wanted to be able to get more work done while I was there so that I could go home earlier! I know lots of people who continued to pump past a year. One good compromise is to keep pumping just once a day indefinitely. No hurry, though. It's great that you are still pumping past a year!

We give milk in a bottle before naps, and in a sippy at other times.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

At my job we are so supportive of breastfeeding (I work in a NICU) that I am going to be really surprised if people give me grief about pumping beyond 1 year. I'm also in agreeance with the other person who said that your employer may not even realize your child is over a year.

As far as the sippy cup thing.. my son is 9 months and I tried to give him a sippy for the first time a few weeks ago. He bit the top of the sippy cup. it was one of those soft top ones. Well, for the next week after that, I had to deal with him trying to bite me. I have decided that we are not doing sippy cups PERIOD until I am done breastfeeding. So he is going to get a bottle.. or regular cup... until weaned. And who knows when that'll be.
    He only currently gets a bottle while I am at work. On my days off I just breastfeed him.. even if we are out and about. I just use my Hotslings cape or the car. I am not shy about BFing in public with the cape.

When people ask me why he doesn't use a sippy I tell them about the biting thing and they agree with me.. or at least give me a look of understanding.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm a nurse in an adult medical-surgical ICU and my hospital doesn't do L&D or babies so they aren't the most supportive or informed about breastfeeding, pumping, etc. THere is no designated lactation room, I use an empty patient room. A co-worker of mine in one of our other ICUs got called into her manager's office when her baby was 9 months old and was told that she needed to combine her pumping and eating because she was taking too many breaks. It stressed her out so much that she weaned.

Everyone in my unit does know how old he is as they ask every day how he's doing. When I ask another nurse to watch my patients for me while I pump I sometimes get "You're still doing that?" Also, my manager just came back from maternity leave and stopped BF her baby at 6 weeks because she "had to."

If I do "pump wean" will my boobs adjust and still make enough the rest of the time? If I just pump once or twice a day? DS doesn't eat much solids and I'm ok with that but I can't expect him to make up for less BM with solids.

Thanks again.

A co-worker of mine in one of our other ICUs got called into her manager's office when her baby was 9 months old and was told that she needed to combine her pumping and eating because she was taking too many breaks. It stressed her out so much that she weaned.

Everyone in my unit does know how old he is as they ask every day how he's doing. When I ask another nurse to watch my patients for me while I pump I sometimes get "You're still doing that?" Also, my manager just came back from maternity leave and stopped BF her baby at 6 weeks because she "had to."
    to both of these. You would think people who make a living out of taking care of other people would understand the need to take care of your LO in the best possible way.

If I do "pump wean" will my boobs adjust and still make enough the rest of the time? If I just pump once or twice a day? DS doesn't eat much solids and I'm ok with that but I can't expect him to make up for less BM with solids.

Thanks again.
    Your body will adjust to make what your LO needs when you are together or if you pump one or two times a day that would be fine too. One thing a PP mentioned is pumping either on the way to work or right before work. I was always surprised first thing in the morning as to how much I got even after my LO nursed. If you are going to drop some pumping session make sure to do it slowly. Pick your least productive session and slowly decrease the amount of time that you pump for till you drop it. Also I don't know if it would be worth it but you might provide your coworkers with a little info on the benefits of BF and the fact that it is recommended by WHO till at least two years. Don't know if that will help but can't hurt. Good luck.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I stopped pumping when DS1 was 16mo old. He stopped taking more than an oz or so at day care so it seemed futile to keep pumping. No problems from work. We continued to nurse until DS was about 33 mo old.

We switched from bottles to nuby "sippy cups" when DS1 was about 13 mo old. He had started to refuse bottles.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)