Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7+days nursing strike

Default 7+days nursing strike

Hi LLLLadies,
    I'm starting to get quite depressed because my LO who is 13 mos and doesn't eat much solids is on a nursing strike since last week.
    he doesn't take any liquids,I tried juice,water,rice milk,water with lemon,EBM fresh from the fridge...nothing.
    he's peeing soooo little,his diaper is dry in the morning,and then in the day he pees a few times.pee is yellowish.
    we went to another city to see dad for a week and this is where he stopped nursing.me and dad have a difficult relationship at the moment and we had a lot of arguments there.
    so I thought better to come back home and now it's two days we came back but I still don't see any improvements.
    DS looks very active and acting normal,but even when I can latch him on he doesn't really eat,just stays there with the breast in his mouth and has little sips.
    I'm at the end of my rope,very sad that I'm doing something wrong and my baby is refusing me.
    I'm so worried that he will get dehidrated.it's really hot outside and he's sweating too.
    any advice please?
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Default Re: 7+days nursing strike

Try to nurse in a dark room, when he's really sleepy or just waking from a nap. We had a 4 mo nursing strike so I know it's tough but you can get through it. Will he take anything in a cup with straw, cup if you hold it, bottle, sippy cup or anything? If he's really dehydrated you can syringe/finger feed him to tide him over till he will nurse more.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Will he eat a popsicle? you could make BM popsicles for him or even diluted fruit juice ones. Keep offering. Does your LO like to drink out of a cup? I know my little guy will drink just about anything if it is in a regular cup. Keep trying to nurse and pump if he wont. Good luck. this link might help.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    Try to nurse in a dark room, when he's really sleepy or just waking from a nap.
    My DD went on a nursing strike and the only time I could get her to nurse well was right when she was waking up from a nap when she was still really groggy. She was too tired to know what she was doing.
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    Try to nurse in a dark room, when he's really sleepy or just waking from a nap. We had a 4 mo nursing strike so I know it's tough but you can get through it. Will he take anything in a cup with straw, cup if you hold it, bottle, sippy cup or anything? If he's really dehydrated you can syringe/finger feed him to tide him over till he will nurse more.
    dark room is not working,it's what we generally did to nurse because he's very distractable.I try to nurse him at night but he just latches on without nursing properly.
    I pump but I get some milk just in the morning and early afternoon.after 4 pm my milk production is close to zero and when he goes to sleep and would nurse to sleep I don't have anymore milk.it's so frustrating.
    also,I tried to feed him fruit and give him drinks in every way possible but he just takes a sip of everything.I'm now trying to get him to drink at least a sip every ten minutes.
    Itry to give him the milk I express in the morning but he refuses it.
    today I started to take fenugreek,hope it works.
    syringe fedd doesn't work either.he spits all out...

if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Do you think he could have an ear infection or something?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Do you think he could have an ear infection or something?
    I don't think he can have an ear infection but surely he's cutting his first molars.
    I think it's a mix of that and me having less milk from being veeery stressed and desperate for the constant fights with DH.
    I'm going to rent an hospital grade pump tomorrow,because I did not pump the week I was away and now my supply is extremely low.with my medela mini electric I'm not having good results.I pump almost nothing.
    I'm so scared I won't be able to make a reasonable quantity of milk again.

if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!