Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help me remember...

Default Please help me remember...

It's been a while since I had a baby that was starting solids! And I don't think I had the info then that I have now, (my other two kids started with rice cereal, I think?) sooo....

I'm thinking in the next couple of weeks we'll start giving Caroline a taste of something other than breastmilk. I'm leaning towards avocado for her first food.

So what do I do? Mash it up and mix it with breastmilk and spoon feed her? Mash it up without breastmilk and spoon feed her? Feed her little chuncks of really smushy ripe avocado with my fingers? I
    Mom to Caroline born 01.11.10, a 8 y.o. son and 10 y.o. daughter!

Default Re: Please help me remember...

Any of the above for the avocado sound good to me. I don't think it's necessary to add breastmilk, personally, I think you can just mash or puree. I just mashed up a very ripe avocado and gave it to my son. He hated it at that point, but is (usually) okay with it now, at almost 12 months old. Sweet potato and banana are also good first solids. Good luck!

Thank you! From my oldest DD's baby book it says she hated solids at first too.

you can cut it into french fry shaped pieces and let them self feed too. My DS2 hated the texture on his hands so I just mushed it and spoon fed it and he loved it

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Thank you! We tried the avocado, and then tonight, some sweet potato. She's just not a fan of solid food right now...she made it quite clear! We'll try again later, lol.