Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby sleeping too long at night?...

Default Baby sleeping too long at night?...

My ds has a stretch between feedings of about nine hours at night. During the day he eats every three hours. So actually he is only nursing six times. This seems to be working for us because he has 6-8 wet diapers a day and 1-3 bm a day. I am concerned though that now he has gotten into this routine will it affect my milk supply or will it just keep up with him.

I am also planning on going back to work part time and I am wondering how pumping will fit into all of this. When I go back to work I will be working from 6 to 10:30 at night. So I will be missing two of his feedings and I know that the job I will hold will not allow me to pump at seven and at ten when he normally eats. Any suggestions on how to keep up this routine with pumping and working?

Default Re: Baby sleeping too long at night?...

How old is DB? Nine hours seems great as long as he's gaining fine and diaper count is good. I will warn you though, that things change all the time so he might not continue sleeping that long That's what happened for us.

My supply evened out fairly quickly when DB started sleeping longer at night. I think you may have a few fussy days when things change (for instance, if DB starts waking again for feeding), but that's normal.

As for pumping, I guess I have 2 suggestions. One would be to pursue pumping at 7p/10p, because that's really the best thing. If you really can't, I find I get the most by pumping just before DB eats for his first am feeding. It's sometimes hard to gauge when he's going to wake up, so I often just wake up at 5am, pump and go back to sleep until he wakes. I get quite a good supply and I've been reassured that since DB is better at getting milk than the pump, that he will get enough after pumping, and will build supply that way as needed.

I have found that it is really hard to pump in the evening. THat is the time of day when most women's supply is at its lowest. Since you can't pump at work anyway, can you pump right after? At least on one breast while the baby nurses on the other? That may work really well for you. And you may find that if you pump first thing in the morning, you will be able to pump more milk. I don't think it matters if you are pumping at the "right" time or not. As long as you are expressing enough to meet your baby's needs, your supply shouldn't be affected. I worked and pumped when my first 2 boys were babies and I never had problems when I wasn't able to pump at work. For me, I think it was psychological and stress related. I was able to take the time to pump, but the milk would not come out. So I would pump at work and not get much. But I was able to get plenty by pumping before and after. I usually worked 8-10 hour days doing this. HTH!

Smile Re: Baby sleeping too long at night?...

My ds is just about sixteen weeks old. He has always had a long stretch at night. It started at about four hours and then went to five and then so on and so on. In the beginning I tried to wake him, I tried everything from taking him down to his diaper to changing his diaper, even playing with him. But he wanted nothing to do with night feedings.
    Today he managed to squeeze in an extra feeding than normal. Is it possible for babies to have more than the "normal" growth spurts or to even have them at different stages than what's considered normal? I do not believe that he went through a growth spurt at three months, or if he did then it was hardly noticeable, but he seems to be entering one now.
    I do pump in the morning when my son seems to not be as interested in feeding on both sides. It is usually the second feeding in the morning and i will pump on one side when he is finished. Is it better to pump while he eats? Also should he continue to get a bottle of EBM during the normal times at night when I am at work. For instance have a bottle at 7 and 10. Just seems as though I will fall behind in being able to express enough for him being as though I wouldn't pump as much. It seems like even if I pump durning the time he normally eats that I do not express the same amount as what he would consume. Hope these questions aren't too confusing. They sound better in my head.

I'm going try and answer some of your questions to what I would say to myself.

About the growth spurt, I think it's perfectly normal for babies to go through a growth spurt at different times. I think the 3's is just an average of when babies go through one. None of my children followed the 3's ever.

I have never pumped for my children due to going to work. I was always there cause in Canada we get a year maternity/parental leave. But if you read many of the posts in this forum many women agree if you can do it, feed on one side and pump the other at the same time. I know it has worked for a friend of mine.

About giving the EBM at his normal feeding times that's your ds personal opinion. You never did say what time you come home from work. If it's close to the 10pm feeding try to maybe get him to wait till your home from work. I know with my first ds when he would just have 3 feeds a day I tailored him to have his night nursing when I came home from work. If you have to find out if that's something that you could do.

I barely have used a pump, I have always hand expressed cause I find it easier to do I don't know why but I do. I haven't had any issues with doing it either. I get enough doing it that way. Also alot less for me to clean too. So if your fear is that you won't leave enough EBM for ds trying even hand expressing after he feeds. Even a half an oz is that much closer to leaving him some extra. As many women say BM is gold so every bit counts.

Let me know if any of my suggestions will help and also if they altimately do help you. Sorry if maybe my suggestions don't help though.

these have all been very helpful suggestions. many directions I did not think about before. My son and I are both grateful for the help.

Hi AllyMom,
    I don't have any suggestions other than what has already been posted, but I wanted to offer some encouragement. I worked part time from when my son was 3 months to 9 months old, and I was really worried about being able to pump when I needed, having enough milk, etc., but I ended up hardly having any problems at all. So, my suggestion is go in with a good attitude, and let's hope it all turns out better than you are anticipating.
    Good luck!