Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suggestion for night weaning a high need LO

Default Suggestion for night weaning a high need LO

I need some help mamas. DD wakes constantly throughout the night (IF I can put her down in her crib at all ) but doesn't feed much if any. If I put her in bed with us (that's another issue ) she really doesn't latch on like she used to. If I bf her she'll just suckle for a while then fall asleep.
    I tried holding her, singing to her, walking with her in my arms, you name it, the other night without letting her latch or putting her in bed with us, and she fussed/cried in my arms for 2hrs, and showed no signs of stopping!!!!
    I've read the articles on askdrsears.com because DD is definitely a high need baby
    So, how do you start to wean a high need baby?! Any tips/suggestions
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: Suggestion for night weaning a high need LO

Not sure from personal experience as I have a high needs baby who sleeps with me (most of the time attached!) but I do know that her dad can get her to sleep just fine without nursing (obviously he can't). Is baby's dad around? If he can help get her to sleep that might be easier. I think the high needs babies are smart and they know "daddy won't let me do ______" whatever and they know he means business and they just as well fall asleep. Let me know what works and I'll be trying it within a year, I'm sure!

Sorry, I see from your signature that yes you are married to your Romeo, so let Romeo woo little pumpkin to sleep :-)
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    Not sure from personal experience as I have a high needs baby who sleeps with me (most of the time attached!) but I do know that her dad can get her to sleep just fine without nursing (obviously he can't). Is baby's dad around? If he can help get her to sleep that might be easier. I think the high needs babies are smart and they know "daddy won't let me do ______" whatever and they know he means business and they just as well fall asleep. Let me know what works and I'll be trying it within a year, I'm sure!

Sorry, I see from your signature that yes you are married to your Romeo, so let Romeo woo little pumpkin to sleep :-)
    She CANNOT be fooled! DH has tried putting her to sleep, but she'll only go to sleep with me and only at the breast. He hasn't tried putting her to sleep for a long time (in terms of time), but if I walked around with her for 2 hrs & she didn't budge (w/out the boob), I don't think there's much hope with him.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

Are you just trying to get her out of your bed? Is it the crib that's the problem? Or do you just not want her to fall asleep nursing?

If you're just trying to get her out of your bed, could you put her mattress on the floor in her room and nurse her down there? Then you can just go back in there and nurse her again when she wakes.

If you're wanting her to fall asleep without nursing, lots of mammas have had luck with the Dr. Gordon method of nightweaning, although it is written for cosleeping babies. http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

I think it could work with a crib, it would just be harder.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to throw away the suggestion about your DH helping out. Maybe on the weekends you could leave around naptime and let them start to figure it out. My husband can get Lilah to sleep without nursing (obviously) now, and I never would have thought it possible. When I finally feel ready to nightwean, I'm going to have him go sleep with her in her room for a few days and see how it goes. Even if she cries, she's crying WITH her daddy.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Are you just trying to get her out of your bed? Is it the crib that's the problem?
    Yes, I want her to be able to sleep other places besides my arms and bed, so that maybe I could put her down for a nap/bedtime to do things around the house. She's had "good" nights in the past in her crib, but they're rare.

Or do you just not want her to fall asleep nursing?
    If you're wanting her to fall asleep without nursing, lots of mammas have had luck with the Dr. Gordon method of nightweaning, although it is written for cosleeping babies. http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html
    I would love for her to fall asleep by other means besides nursing her to sleep for bedtime or when she wakes up throughout the night.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to throw away the suggestion about your DH helping out. Maybe on the weekends you could leave around naptime and let them start to figure it out. My husband can get Lilah to sleep without nursing (obviously) now, and I never would have thought it possible. When I finally feel ready to nightwean, I'm going to have him go sleep with her in her room for a few days and see how it goes. Even if she cries, she's crying WITH her daddy.
    At night, she'll wake up crying, then if DH goes to get her for me, she'll cry louder when she sees that it's him and not me I'll have to give that (in bold) a try. The only way *I* can get her down for a nap is by strolling her around the house in her umbrella stroller. Once she's out, I just put the brakes and recline it a little on the couch. The sad part is that, she used to fall asleep in his arms when she was much younger.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I say wait for one year molars and canines to finish popping through.
    Are these the ones that give them the most trouble?
    *I* thought the 2 front teeth would be the worst along w/molars, but I heard just recently (friend or here, don't remember) that the canines were worse than the 2 front...
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; July 6th, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

I would go slowly and see how she's handling it. Check out the Dr. Gordon method and also the No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers. Is she able to understand ideas like dark and light and that nummies go night night when it's dark? That helped us so much. It might be easier if you wait a few more months and she can understand more what's going on.

Hard to say which teeth are worse. Molars were really bad here and canines are really testing my patience.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*polkadot View Post
    I would go slowly and see how she's handling it. Check out the Dr. Gordon method and also the No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers. Is she able to understand ideas like dark and light and that nummies go night night when it's dark? That helped us so much. It might be easier if you wait a few more months and she can understand more what's going on.
    I had a while back, but something ALWAYS comes up: 1yr. vaxs, getting sick w/cold, teething, etc. I'm not sure if she'd understand about day/night haven't tried.

Hard to say which teeth are worse. Molars were really bad here and canines are really testing my patience.
    I guess it's safe to say that teething just flat out sucks all around
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

DD (21 mos) is getting her canines now, and they're actually much easier than any of her other teeth were, even though (because?) she's night weaned now. They all react differently.