Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm dying to Breastfeed Again...

Unhappy I'm dying to Breastfeed Again...

I had my daughter 3 weeks ago, June 13th and breastfed for about 1 1/2 weeks. I know, I barely nursed at all! I developed a case of Mastitis that had me sooo sick and I didn't have any help with my 2 older children (ages 5 and 7) so I became quite frustrated and gave up breastfeeding all together. Well now I'm wishing I had pushed through because I breastfed my older 2 children up until 6 months and so I feel guilty and want to give my newborn the same goodness. Anyways, I started the fenugreek and I have a Medela handpump that I've started using every 2 hours after nursing. I know the hospital grade electric ones are best but I don't have the money to rent one right now. I'm thinking I should probably contact my OB to get a prescription for Reglan or Domperidone tomorrow. Does anyone have any other advice, hopefully that doesn't cost much if nothing at all??? :-) Its only been about a 1 1/2 weeks of not breastfeeding so I'm hoping it won't take too long for my milk to come back in and I didn't take anything to dry it up so I'm really hoping and praying right now.

Default Re: I'm dying to Breastfeed Again...

Sounds like you are on the right track momma. You have an excellent chance of getting back to EBF. If your LO will latch the absolute best thing for increasing milk supply is a nursing LO. Can you wear your LO and let her nurse very frequently? that will probably be the easiest. otherwise I would nurse on demand or even offer the breast more requently- like every hour. The other thing I would do is if you are using a paci throw it out. You want her to get all her comfort from the breast. This link has some good info about relactating.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    Good luck.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

with the PP. Check out those links, and nurse, nurse, nurse!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

1 1/2 weeks isn't very long, I bet things will get beter in a short period of time....
    Lots of skin to skin contact with the baby, and lots of rest should help!

Will your baby latch on and suckle? If she does, that's the best way to get things going again. Like rcsmom said, ditch the pacifier if you've been using one and nurse for comfort instead.

If your DD won't nurse then you'll need to pump. I hate to say this, but a manual pump isn't likely to be sufficient. To build a supply you really need a hospital grade rental.

But baby at the breast is much more effective than a pump and doesn't cost a thing. Best of luck!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Hi beachmomma! Read my story: My Relactation Story that I posted and keep latching!! You can do it!! It will be so worth it ))

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beachmomma View Post
    I had my daughter 3 weeks ago, June 13th and breastfed for about 1 1/2 weeks. I know, I barely nursed at all! I developed a case of Mastitis that had me sooo sick and I didn't have any help with my 2 older children (ages 5 and 7) so I became quite frustrated and gave up breastfeeding all together. Well now I'm wishing I had pushed through because I breastfed my older 2 children up until 6 months and so I feel guilty and want to give my newborn the same goodness. Anyways, I started the fenugreek and I have a Medela handpump that I've started using every 2 hours after nursing. I know the hospital grade electric ones are best but I don't have the money to rent one right now. I'm thinking I should probably contact my OB to get a prescription for Reglan or Domperidone tomorrow. Does anyone have any other advice, hopefully that doesn't cost much if nothing at all??? :-) Its only been about a 1 1/2 weeks of not breastfeeding so I'm hoping it won't take too long for my milk to come back in and I didn't take anything to dry it up so I'm really hoping and praying right now.
    Momma of 2 precious boys

ten yr old and 4 mth old born at 33 weeks
    born at 7 lbs 15 0z and 5 lbs 3 oz -

"Before you were conceived we wanted you. Before you were born we loved you. Before you were here an hour we would give our lives for you. This is the miracle of life"