Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reglan for relactation

Default Reglan for relactation

My daughter was born with a short frenulum and was unable to latch properly when she was born. I still continued to EBF for the first week. I was worried when she would only have 1 wet diaper a day and didn't have a BM for 6 days so I started supplementing with formula. My supply dwindled down to almost nothing with pumping so I just stopped all together about 11 days ago. Her tongue was clipped and I had been putting her to breast earlier this week. She seemed to spit up more than usual even though I know she couldn't have been getting more than a few drops. I started fenegreek and blessed thistle last Sunday. My LC said that I should notice an increase in my supply within a couple of days but I didn't. She told me that she would prescribe me Reglan but after reading all the horror stories I panicked and just gave up all together again. It's seriously making me depressed that I can't BF.

So that's my story and now my question is has anyone taken Reglan and not had the horrible side effects that are warned about? I'm scared to take it and end up with irreversible damage.

I really want to relactate and do what I feel is best for my baby.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Default Re: Reglan for relactation

I took Reglan for about a month and had absolutely no side-effects aside from increased milk production.

Are you still pumping? Because as useful as I feel Reglan was for me, I think that the work I did with the hospital grade rental pump was far more effective in resurrecting my supply. (I pumped every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night.)

You can do it, Mama! Your baby will latch on and nurse- think what an incredible advantage you have over moms whose babies won't do that!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I stopped pumping 2 days ago. I'm going to call the LC in the morning and ask her to put in the Reglan and begin pumping again. I stopped putting her to breast too because I started taking diet pills and I didn't want them to get to her and I had given up on BFing. I'm not taking anymore though and I plan to start putting her to breast again tomorrow evening when I know it's out of my system. I will keep her on my breast as often as possible. She uses a pacifier so she will do alot of comfort sucking throughout the day and night. I plan to power pump too a couple times a day. I also have the SNS so I will start trying that tomorrow night. The night time will be the hardest for me to pump. I'm seriously exhausted....

I have 3 weeks to get serious about this before I go back to work. I just REALLY want to be able to BF her.

Sounds like a good plan. You'll probably want to talk tp your doc, midwife, or pediatrician about Reglan- LCs usually don't have prescription pads.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Sounds like a good plan. You'll probably want to talk tp your doc, midwife, or pediatrician about Reglan- LCs usually don't have prescription pads.
    It's a military hospital so they just go to the Dr and have them put the Rx in. She already put in the request so I should have it by noon today. I really hope it works!