Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeming to self wean at 10 months?

Default Seeming to self wean at 10 months?

Hi i'm new here and was wondering if someone could help.

I hope i am posting in the right section!!

My DS is nearly 10 months old and taking very little breast milk, i always knew there was a possibility he would self wean early because of me being pregnant again (26 weeks)

I have two questions...

Firstly,because he is taking so little milk should i be supplementing him?

secondly if he stops taking breast milk altogether do i have to put him onto formula because he is less than 12 months old?

Please help..i don't want to stop BF and i keep offering him the breast as i wanted to feed until 2 ideally so he got the maximum benefit,but now i'm worried his health will be affected.

xxx

Default Re: Seeming to self wean at 10 months?

and Congratulations

You're wondering if your baby weans what you should do to be sure his nutritional needs are met... how often is he nursing? Thing is about this age range is they become totally distractable and oft times moms think they're weaning. While you're pregnant there is a chance your milk is waning or changing but maybe some tips from this page can help you better determine.

Can you talk to your doctor about what you can do in the meantime (until baby is born and possibly a while after) to meet the needs of your 10 month old? HOPEFULLY they'll know enough about nursing and nutrition (or refer you to someone who does) to get you through to the end of the pregnancy (which is onnly about 14 more weeks)!! Once the new baby comes you will have plenty of milk, for them both (you'll always want to nurse the newbie 1st )

Thing is the goal of nursing him until age 2 is totally do-able! Thats the good news

A little more on tandem nursing and nursing wile pregnant can be found here!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*unique View Post
    Hi i'm new here and was wondering if someone could help.

I hope i am posting in the right section!!

My DS is nearly 10 months old and taking very little breast milk, i always knew there was a possibility he would self wean early because of me being pregnant again (26 weeks)

I have two questions...

Firstly,because he is taking so little milk should i be supplementing him?

secondly if he stops taking breast milk altogether do i have to put him onto formula because he is less than 12 months old?

Please help..i don't want to stop BF and i keep offering him the breast as i wanted to feed until 2 ideally so he got the maximum benefit,but now i'm worried his health will be affected.

xxx
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thank you so much for your reply!
    He's feeding two or three times a day now.
    He eats a very well balanced diet ~(hes a very good eater!)
    He does get very distracted,and he feeds for such a short time now.

I can't go to my G.P as they are outdated and useless!I will just be told to stick him on formula,which i REALLY don't want to do!

He has cows milk allergy too so i know he would have to have a 'special' kind.

I'm very tempted to just see how things go,as i know that baby will be early (possibly before 34 weeks) due to complications.

He's happy and healthy in himself,but i need reassurance that i'm not harming him in any way (hence my post here)

I figured you experts could help!

It sounds like a nursing strike--babies rarely self-wean before 1. Cow's milk isn't recommended before a year--your milk is the milk he's made to drink. It's recommended to offer the breast first and any food or drinks after, only for fun; before 1 year. See this on solids

I have a squirming miserable baby on my lap, gotta run!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I'm very tempted to just see how things go,as i know that baby will be early (possibly before 34 weeks) due to complications.
    The only situation in which a mama should probably wean due to pregnancy is if there's a chance of preterm labor. If you're in a situation where the baby needs to stay in, I think I'd wean. I know that your older baby is only nursing 2-3 times a day, so the chances that he'd stimulate labor are probably relatively slim. But in this case, perhaps better to be safe?

Of course, if you're in a situation where the primary concern is not preterm labor but some other health issue, I don't see much harm in continuing to nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The only situation in which a mama should probably wean due to pregnancy is if there's a chance of preterm labor. If you're in a situation where the baby needs to stay in, I think I'd wean. I know that your older baby is only nursing 2-3 times a day, so the chances that he'd stimulate labor are probably relatively slim. But in this case, perhaps better to be safe?

Of course, if you're in a situation where the primary concern is not preterm labor but some other health issue, I don't see much harm in continuing to nurse.
    my OB has not advised me to stop BF,and i've been at risk of pre term labour from the moment i got pregnant due to cervical incompetence.

I had to have an emergency stitch placed in my cervix at 21 weeks as i was 2cms dilated and not once has my BF been an issue for him so i don't think i need to worry about that.

Can anyone say what is a 'normal' amount to nurse at 10 months?

I don't know if there is a normal amount to nurse at 10 months but this link may help you to figure out if your LO is getting enough without needing to suppliment.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

what makes you think he is getting very little milk? Is it a decrease in the number of nursing sessions per day or the length of nursing sessions? A change in the number of wet diapers or drop in weight? If he is eating a good diet of solids you might be able to keep him going with only a few nursing sessions (I'm thinking 3-4?) per day until your milk comes in for the next baby.

If I understand correctly you don't want him to wean, right? If so, I think I'd just encourage him to nurse as much as possible. Offer when he is sleepy or cuddly. My two always wanted to nurse in the bath or shower. Try skin to skin contact and (if you can with the pregnant belly) babywearing. Even with doing all that there is a chance you will not be able to increase your supply to where it needs to be due to your pregnancy. But at least you'd know that you did what you could to encourage him to continue.

At 10 months he should still be getting much of his nutrition from milk- whether BM or formula, so if he does stop nursing altogether you would need to supplement him with something I think. Probably soy formula if he has dairy problems.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    what makes you think he is getting very little milk? Is it a decrease in the number of nursing sessions per day or the length of nursing sessions? A change in the number of wet diapers or drop in weight? If he is eating a good diet of solids you might be able to keep him going with only a few nursing sessions (I'm thinking 3-4?) per day until your milk comes in for the next baby.

If I understand correctly you don't want him to wean, right? If so, I think I'd just encourage him to nurse as much as possible. Offer when he is sleepy or cuddly. My two always wanted to nurse in the bath or shower. Try skin to skin contact and (if you can with the pregnant belly) babywearing. Even with doing all that there is a chance you will not be able to increase your supply to where it needs to be due to your pregnancy. But at least you'd know that you did what you could to encourage him to continue.

At 10 months he should still be getting much of his nutrition from milk- whether BM or formula, so if he does stop nursing altogether you would need to supplement him with something I think. Probably soy formula if he has dairy problems.
    He has dropped down to two or three feeds a day and i think he only takes them because i offer!

He doesn't nurse for long either,i think he's very busy as he 's now crawling really well and perhaps this could be why he's dropping the feeds

As much as i'd love to i cant baby wear because i have to keep the weight off my cervix and it's not reccomended that i carry him or even stand for long periods of time

I can try skin to skin (if he will stay still long enough!) we co-sleep too but he's not really feeding in the night anymore

I really don't want him to wean and i REALLY am against giving him formula... rock and hard place springs to mind!lol

I guess skin to skin and frequent offering is my only option..

Thanx ladies

I really don't want him to wean and i REALLY am against giving him formula... rock and hard place springs to mind!lol
    Definitely keep trying and you may be able to get enough in him to keep him going. But as always the first rule is to feed the baby. Pregnancy is one of those situations where you can't control your milk supply and if it's not there it's not there. And whether it's there or not your son still needs it. If you didn't have dairy problems I'd say you could probably make it without supplementing, but it would be very difficult to make sure he is getting a complete diet without either breastmilk or any form of dairy. You could talk to a nutritionist about it to get some ideas, though my guess is that they'd tell you to give him formula.

Even if he does wean and even if you do have to supplement you could probably encourage him to nurse again once your milk comes in and then you could stop supplementation. It might not even take much encouragement on your part. My daughter had been weaned for 4 months and was over 2 when I had my son and she asked several times to nurse after the baby came.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous