Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning effect on AF?

Default weaning effect on AF?

Good morning mamas,

Quick question--I've now had my period 3x since LO appeared (gosh, it was a nice break there!) so I know I'm on a pretty regular 28 day cycle. However this most recent period occurred during what's turned out to be the time of weaning and it seems to be longer and heavier than the previous 2. Does anyone know if the hormonal fluctuations associated with weaning would also have an effect on AF? It seems to usually last 4-5 days but this time is closer to 7. A bit more uncomfortable as well, cramp-wise. Is this just a strong message that the baby hotel is ready for another 9 month guest? Which IS NOT in the plan, by the way!

Just curious, not a must-know-the-answer question...

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

Default Re: weaning effect on AF?

IME, my cycles returned to 28 days while ds2 was weaning. The cramping and length of actual AF did not return to my pre-baby style until after he was no longer nursing.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Default Re: weaning effect on AF?

Thanks mom2a...that makes sense, and I'm betting the same will hold true until I finish pump-weaning.

The other tidbit that I'm sure is playing a role is that pre-baby I was on the pill. Now I have an IUD. Sheesh, I wonder what my "normal" cycle will be like since I've not seen that since I was...uh...well, a lot younger.

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!