Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning not going well

Unhappy Weaning not going well

Hi everyone,
    It looks like a lot of people are in the same situation I am!
    I'm 14 weeks pregnant and have been trying to wean my 22 month old daughter for about 3 months now. We got down to only nap and night time feedings, and the night time feeding is pretty much an all night nursing session. I'm sick and exhausted from being pregnant and it's just not working anymore. I am sad that I dread nursing so much. She is my third child and I thought I knew what I was doing as a mom until she was born. From day 2 this baby has been INTENSE. Never let me put her down, EVER. Wanted to nurse constantly. Screamed like mad when I tried to put her in a bouncer or swing. Car rides were hell. She still doesn't like the car. Her attachment to me was so extreme that neither of her grandmas could hold her without her flipping out until she was 10 months old! Anyway, just a little background so you can imagine what it's like trying to wean her. So, we finally cut out the nap nursing about 3 weeks ago. Problem is she won't nap now. She wakes up at 8 AM and finally knocks out at around 11 PM. Life after 4 PM is pretty bad. I don't know what to do to get her to take a nap. She doesn't like the car so that’s not an option. She won’t lie down with me. I can tell she's tired because she gets so cranky but she just plain won't take a nap. I feel like we’ve tried everything. She will fall asleep at night but I’m guessing it’s only because she is physically and mentally exhausted (as am I!) but she wakes throughout the night to nurse still. I really did enjoy our breastfeeding relationship and bond but I’m done now, really, really done for sure. I don’t feel like I’m giving her what she really needs from nursing because I feel so negatively about it now. I’m just tired and worn out. I still try really hard to give her lots of love and hugs and mommy time all day. She also eats and drinks really well. Sooo, any advice for me? I’d really appreciate whatever I get!

Default Re: Weaning not going well

my 2nd baby was like this... So many many hugs

Will she go to sleep nursing?

I might add that nap nursing back in and work on night weaning? At least no nurseing from 2am-6am....

Do you co-sleep? Sometimes putting some distance between you and toddler helps.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    I might add that nap nursing back in and work on night weaning? At least no nurseing from 2am-6am.....
    I found it a lot easier to night-wean my velcro baby than to nap-wean her.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I second the night-time weaning, nap-time nursing suggestion. That way you get to sleep for several hours in a row, plus you get a break in the middle of the day (and a rested child). I am so happy we night weaned, he was 21 months at the time, and it was a process, but soo worth it. I never thought he would sleep through the night, and he didn't until we night weaned.

Good Luck!

Thank you all so much for your help!
    Our plans changed a bit. I tried nursing her at nap time on Wednesday and yesterday. She bit me pretty hard on Wednesday so that ended that try. I have a nice purple, bruised nipple. She did it again on yesterday at nap time but this time it was bad. I have a chunk of flesh hanging by the skin. It bled all over and hurts A LOT! Both sides were already sore from my pregnancy. I have no idea why she started biting all of a sudden! I have not let her nurse since the bad bite yesterday and last night was pretty bad. She doesn't know how to get back to sleep. Hopefully tonight will be better! I explained to her that "boo" has an owie now and she seems to understand because she'll ask "boo? owie?" Poor baby. This is no fun! I can't wait til we're past it!
    Last edited by @llli*lynds; July 9th, 2010 at 11:38 AM.

Oh my gosh! I'm sorry. I hope you heal quickly.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

She may be biting because your milk supply is low and she is frustrated. Not that that makes it feel any better, but it may explain it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous