Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 14 week old - super fussy, super sleepy, super hungry...

Default 14 week old - super fussy, super sleepy, super hungry...

I got a super boy for the last couple of days...
    He is 14 weeks, so I don't think he is going through a growth spurt - we went through one about 2 weeks ago...
    It seems we have only 3 modes now days - sleeping, nursing and being super cranky...
    Today he slept for 10 hrs at night, woke up to nurse, then got cranky and acted as if he was being sleepy... I put him down for a nap, he slept for 2 hours!!! woke up, ate for 45 min (we are now usually nursing for 10 min at a time), played for about 10 min with me, then got cranky again, acting as if he was hungry... nursed him for 30 min more, then he got sleepy... put him down for a nap, slept for 20 min, woke up, ate for 45, got cranky and fussy... ate again... went for a nap for 2 hrs! You kind of get the picture.

Is this normal? Should I take him to the doctor maybe? He seems fine otherwise - normal output, does play a little bit, does pay attention to things around him, but just sleeps and nurses non-stop!

My hubby started to get concerned, also, he keeps asking me if one can overfeed a baby... I always thought that it was impossible with the breastfed baby, but now I am getting concerned too!
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: 14 week old - super fussy, super sleepy, super hungry...

You are right- you just can't overfeed a breastfed baby. It's very normal for babies to change their nursing and napping patterns in response to a growth spurt (they can happen at any time!), a need for more milk (baby nurses more means mom makes more), or teething (yes, it can start this early!), or development. So I don't think you need to worry a whole huge amount unless your LO starts running a fever or seems really uncomfortable. If that happens, I'd go to the doc and have the doc check his ears and throat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you heard of the book
    Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child? It's interesting to refer to -- anyway-- this is the time that babies start moving their bed times earlier--I'm not sure when you put him down, but one my LO was acting like he was going through a growth spurt when he had just had one and was super fussy at night. So I started putting him down earlier (7:30) and it worked--he slept longer and was happier during the day--he still takes several naps during the day--2 longer ones. Any way, my ped. said that at this point he was capable of sleeping 7:30 am-7:30 pm -- now he doesn't do that yet- my LO gets up around 3:30 and 6:30 to nurse. Not sure if this helps, but the books says alot of new moms mistake sleep issues for growth spurts.

Have you looked into teething? My LO is only 11 weeks old and has been teething for two weeks now and we are just waiting for that first tooth to pop! It must be pretty close because we can feel the bumps in his gums. But really my LO acts the same way some days and it just seems like everything we do he remains cranky. Hopefully you get it figured out!

Good luck!

I actually have the book! Someone gave it to me! I will take a look at it.

As far as teething - I think that might be, actually... Although I do not feel anything yet on his gums... but his behavior points to teething. Poor honey

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elesha View Post
    As far as teething - I think that might be, actually... Although I do not feel anything yet on his gums... but his behavior points to teething
    My first daughter started teething at around 3 months, but her first tooth didn't pop through until 8 months. Teething can be a LONG process!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Lovely...