Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We're almost here...

Default We're almost here...

Well, tonight is the second night I haven't nursed my DS (22 months) to sleep. Yesterday night, he screamed and cried at first (although it may have been partly due to overtiredness), but tonight, there were no tears although it did take an hour to get him to sleep. We are now down to 1 nursing session a day which is his naptime. I will eliminate that session once he gets used to not nursing to sleep at night.

I have mixed emotions about this, but I know I'm ready to wean him. With my current pregnancy, nursing has become too uncomfortable and unpleasant for me and downright painful when I unlatch him and he pulls off or bites down with his teeth. I don't plan to tandem nurse when the 2nd baby comes. But, at least I almost made it to 2 years.

Anyways, just wanted to share this with you all.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Default Re: We're almost here...

Congrats on making it to two years momma! It's a wonderful gift you've given your child. I'm happy to hear that weaning is going well for you too!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmamaof3 View Post
    Congrats on making it to two years momma! It's a wonderful gift you've given your child. I'm happy to hear that weaning is going well for you too!
    Wise words. Good job mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I've been exactly where you are and know those emotions well. I'm glad to hear it is going well and congratulations on 2 years!

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Good luck as you take the final steps toward weaning. I hope it goes as smoothly as possible for your little one. Congrat's on baby to be in January!! Don't be surprised if your little one asks to nurse again after the baby is born.

Great job making it two years!! Amazing mothering you have accomplished.
    Alene
    LLL Leader

Well, just thought I'd give you an update. DS has not nursed to sleep for almost a week now. I eliminated the naptime nursing session after a few days of eliminating the nighttime nursing session and that went better than I thought. Now, he's just been putting his head on my chest or tummy and just snuggles to sleep (after fidgeting and wiggling around for a while).

So, I guess we're weaned. It's nice to have my boobs back until baby #2 comes along.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Aw, I'm glad things went well. I also weaned when PG with my now 9MO. I think it was easier knowing I had another nursling on the way.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09