Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woke up with PAINFUL breast.

Default Re: Woke up with PAINFUL breast.

DD's diaper output was really poor today. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid with my past supply/dehydration issues, but she still seemed to be nursing Ok. Even on the infected side she still had milk all over her face while she was nursing.

Is that normal? Not as many diapers...?

Your milk output is probably somewhat reduced -- perhaps due to blockage in the infected breast, perhaps from all the stress/pain (that can inhibit your letdown reflex). I understand your concern about low supply given your early struggles with breastfeeding, and you are wise to pay attention to your daughter's diaper output.

She is now -- what? -- about 8 months old? (sorry, I've lost track!) I think a healthy older baby can probably tolerate a little short-term reduction in supply a lot more safely than a young infant can. If her diaper output is still low today, you might consider a small amount of supplement, just to keep her hydrated as you recover from illness.

How are you feeling today? Symptoms improved at all?

--Rebecca

I had the same thing happen to me last weekend! I woke up so sore and it got progressively worse during the day, I was so out of my mind tired and achy and my breast was red and so hot. I called my PCP and they called an rx into the pharmacy for me. I started it that night and it took two days before I felt normal... I'd definitely call the doctor, the antibiotics cleared it right up for me.

Oh man, what a rough weekend. On Saturday night I was feeling a little better, though in hind sight I think it was just the ibuprofen that I finally broke down and took. I always hate taking stuff when I'm fighting an infection or bug because it gives me a false sense of well being and I end up doing to much, which means it takes longer to get better.

Anyway, I went to be Saturday night but didn't sleep well and was actually laying wide awake at 3:30 I was in so much pain - achy, chills/sweating, etc. I took another ibuprofen when I woke up Sunday morning, but then as the day went on I got progressively worse. My MIL came over to help me out and basically just brought DD back to nurse and let me lay in bed.

By the afternoon my kidney's starting hurting and I had problems peeing. I felt like I had to go, but when I tried nothing came out. And then when it did it wouldn't stop and I'd have to keep going to the toilet. So that's when I made plans to go the clinic. I waited for hubby to get home and we headed over there.

They gave me antibiotics for my breast, and sent urine out for a culture. He also did a finger stick for a glucose test because of how much I was drinking. It was kind of high - 146. (I guess normal is well below a 100). So now I have to follow up with my doctor to get a fasting glucose test done, and in the mean time I'm on antibiotics and drinking cranberry juice out the wazoo.

I've been awake since 1:10. My kidneys hurt too bad to lay down, so I'm sitting on the couch. We're going to borrow a recliner from my MIL tomorrow, because I can't lay flat on my back, and with a sore boob I obviously can't lay on my stomach.

I feel like crap..

I forgot to mention that she's 6 and a half months.

Quote Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
    I feel like crap..
    (((((((((((((HUGE HUG)))))))))))))) I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Have you had trouble with high glucose levels/diabetes in the past? I had gestational diabetes with my 2nd pregnancy. I was thirsty all the time, and peed all the time. I lost a lot of weight (only gained 4 pounds during pregnancy) b/c of the diabetes and vomiting--vomiting is another sign of possible diabetes. Please take this very seriously! You know, I'm just saying...it's the mom in me!

Have they considered "cathing" you? I had a hemorhoidectomy in August, and had trouble going after that. I had to be "cathed" 2 times. They put "leg caths" in--lovely walking around with a pee bag hanging on the leg! Take care of yourself, ya hear? Let us know what you find out, okay?

Oh, what a miserable time you're having! I'm so sorry that you've gotten so sick. I hope the antibiotics will kick in quickly and give you some relief, and that the rest of it is followed carefully by your doctor. Update when you can.

--Rebecca

Even though I was up from 1-6 last night, I feel SO much better. I'd like to think it was the antibiotics, but I've only taken 2 so far, and I doubt they work that fast. Even my kidneys feel better, and I seem to be able to pee again. Thank goodness too, I don't want a catheter. LOL.

I was borderline when I was pregnant, but managed it with diet. I didn't gain any weight, in fact I lost a lot, until the end. I gained nearly 40 pounds in the last 6 weeks.

My husband is a type 2 diebetic (sterroid induced.. he was over dosed on prednisone by a stupid doctor when he had bronchitus) so he checked my sugar this morning before I ate and it was 82, which is fine. I'm not sure why I had that response yesterday, or why my kidneys all of a suden feel better. I'm still thirsty as heck. Who knows. I'm going to be making an appointment with my doctor this morning.

Wow, I'm so sorry you have been so sick! I'm glad you are starting to feel better. I had mastitis three times during my son's early months, and two of them required treatment with antibiotics. Both times, the antibiotics did seem to help VERY fast. So even just a couple doses could be making a difference for you. I just wanted to mention that since you are taking the antibiotics and have some possible sugar issues, you may want to take some steps to avoid thrush. Anitbiotic treatment and diabetes are both risk factors for thrush. (If someone else has already mentioned this, sorry, I didn't have time to read back through all the posts.) Anyway, in addition to killing to bad bacteria that cause your infection, antibiotics also kill the good bacteria in your gut which can lead to yeast overgrowth. Also, yeast feeds on sugar, so people with diabetes are at higher risk. It can be helpful to take a probiotic (acidophilus) for awhile to help your system get back in balance from the antibiotics. It is also recommended to reduce consumption of sugar and dairy products for awhile. After dealing with mastitis and kidney problems, I wouldn't you to have to deal with thrush too! Hope you continue to feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by llowe View Post
    It can be helpful to take a probiotic (acidophilus) for awhile to help your system get back in balance from the antibiotics.
    One step ahead of you, already taking probiotics. And because my husband is a type 2, we don't do sugar around here. But thanx anyway. Aside from getting only 2 hours of sleep last night (DD is on the verge of crawling and WILL.. NOT.. SLEEP) I feel MUCH better.