Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woke up with PAINFUL breast.

Default Woke up with PAINFUL breast.

I haven't been on here in a while (it looks great, BTW) but thought you guys would be my best bet for help. I woke up with a REALLY painful breast this morning. DD nursed on the left side as she started to wake up, and while she nursed I could feel the let down on the other side and it hurt. I thought it was because it was full, so we switched sides, and as she nursed it got really really sore.

I sat up and noticed it slightly hard along the inside, and slightly warm. Since she was finished I pumped the rest down but didn't get much. I pump every morning and normally get 4-5 ounces from that breast, and I only got 1 ounce. Granted she had just nursed on it, but even still, I usually get 2-3 ounces.

I had blocked ducts a lot in the beginning, but this feels.. different. I also had a head ache all day yesterday. Not flu-ish, but just tired with a bad head ache. I also took my temperature, and it was LOW. It was 96.2. Weird.

Could this be mastitis? Can you just all of a sudden get it?

I'm going to get in a hot shower to see if that helps, other then that I don't know what else to do.

What could this be?
    Last edited by North_Of_60; October 7th, 2006 at 05:33 AM.

Default Re: Woke up with PAINFUL breast.

Hey! Welcome back!

Yes, that sure sounds like mastitis. It typically develops very suddenly, and the pain, hard/warm spot, and feeling yucky overall are classic symptoms. Not sure why your temp is lower than normal, but mastitis doesn't always include fever.

This is my fave link for this topic, b/c it explains the similarities and differences of blocked ducts and mastitis as well as how to treat:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

And here is the LLL webpage on the same topic:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

Your best chance of avoiding a doctor visit and resolving this problem quickly is to go straight to bed, right now, and do nothing but REST, nurse as often as possible, especially on the affected breast, drink plenty of fluids, eat well. Many mothers find that these steps turn the symptoms around quickly.

If you're not getting better within 24 hours, or if you develop a high fever, then you will probably need to see a doctor to discuss treatment with antibiotics.

Hope you feel better very soon! Keep us posted.

--Rebecca

Awe crap. I have the red streaking too (noticed it in the shower, almost looks like red spider veins).

I just recently got over a bad cold, do you think that may have weakened my immune system and made me susceptible to mastitis?

When we get run down, we tend to get sick. Mastitis is often a very effective signal that a mother needs to stop and take care of herself. Other things can bring it on, to be sure; I don't want to make a sweeping generalization here.

Anyway, the good news is -- you caught it early, you know what it is and what to do. Go back to bed now and don't get up except to pee!

--Rebecca

What happens if I can't nurse on that side? I haven't felt pain like that since I had cracked nipples in the beginning. Literally toe curling pain. I'm trying, but it really hurts. I suppose my supply will dip if I can't do it, huh?

Oh man this sucks big time. Since I've been up a few hours I'm DEFINITELY not well. Still no fever, but every bone and joint in my body hurts, and it feels like my head is going to implode. We laid down for 45 minutes, but now she wants to play, so I'm laying on the floor with her (thank goodness for wireless internet..lol). I also loaded the crock pot before I got feeling this bad.

I want to cry I feel so miserable.

One more question.. is it normal for the shoulder on that side to hurt too? It feels like there is a dagger right through my breast to the other side of my back/shoulder. I can't lift my arm.

OK, this sounds like it is getting much more serious much faster than is typical.

I have not heard the pain-through-to-the-shoulder-blade thing described before. I don't know if it's normal. Clearly it is agonizing.

If you are unable to nurse or pump on the affected breast, you are going to get engorged, which will make all of this worse (and may add blocked ducts to the picture).

Have you taken anything for the pain?

I wish this stuff didn't always happen on weekends. You should probably call your healthcare provider and discuss the very sudden onset and rapid worsening of your symptoms. They may want you to go to the ER for immediate treatment. If things have gotten this bad in just a few hours this morning, you should not try to gut it out until Monday morning -- the worst-case scenario with mastitis is an abcess in the breast, which can permanently damage its ability to lactate.

If you don't have another adult around to help you already, now is definitely the time to find someone. Call your doctor and call a friend or someone to come and help you with the baby. Good luck. I'll be thinking of you until we hear another update.

--Rebecca

I don't feel any worse, just foggy/groggy. I think the reason I felt so bad so quick was because I had posted this morning as soon as I woke up. I always feel good as soon as I wake up, and as I learned last week with my cold, that just goes down hill. LOL.

I've been nursing on that side. It's painful, but it's definitely not engorged. My husband just got home, so he's going to watch her (we just slept for an hour) and I'm going to try laying down for a while on my own.

My shoulder hurts, but I'm not sure if it's connected. Yesterday I was having some back issues (which I've explained before - I'm messed up) and got adjusted by the chiro. It may have just been the onset of the flu like symptoms, or it could be totally unrelated. I was really out though, so the achenes could just be exacerbating the symptoms.

Thanx for your help, I'll update as I can.. (I'm back to laying on the floor with her while she plays).

I haven't taken anything, honestly, I just got up. I'm going to look on Kellymom for something that I can take. Is Ibuprofen (or other anti-inflamatories) Ok?

Ibuprofen good to take. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Mastitis is no fun.

I'm not sure if your case is too advanced, but I read some information about plugged ducts on the LLL website. A mom had written an article about taking a warm bath and then gently massaging the breast and squeezing toward the nipple to release dryed milk plugs. I tried this last week when I had plugged ducts and it worked really well. White plugs popped out of a few of the holes in my nipples and milk started squirting out, relieving the pain and pressure. But I imagine it would be too painful for you to try this now. I am sure that's why you got so little when you pumped. Did you notice how the stream of milk was flowing? It was probably only coming out of one or two holes in your nipple because the rest are plugged. Hope you get the treatment you need and feel much better soon. Check out the information on plugged ducts on the LLL website and read the article if you can. Then you can try what she recommends next time. I will try to find the link for you when I get a chance.