Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast pain?

Default Breast pain?

I've been having occasional sharp, shooting pain in one or both breasts, usually after nursing my son (just turned 1 year). I'm wondering if it could be thrush, or something else - it's not consistent, and he doesn't seem to have any symptoms. We've gone this long with no problems, except one bout with mastitis about 5 months ago. Should I call my GP or OB/GYN to get treated? Or are there other options?

Default Re: Breast pain?

have you had cracked or bleeding nipples?

Any breast pain I took as a good excuse to rest and make sure I was healthy.
    Eat good foods drink lots of water.

I wouldn't say cracked and bleeding, although I have had lots of dried milk / milk blisters.
    You're right, drinking more water, resting, and eating healthy are always good ideas!

Sometimes I have breast pain when my breast is really really empty and I've let E keep nursing on it, like when I'm about to start my period my supply tanks really bad. Could that be it?

If it continues for more than a few days then I would go see my doc, either one, and get it checked out. If it is thrush you can nip it in the bud. But try like Andrea said to drink a bunch of water and get more rest and see if that helps b/c it could be the beginnings of mastitis.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I never thought about it being because I've let him keep nursing on an empty breast! That's certainly a possibility - it's usually in the middle of the night and I'm pretty sure my supply is lower then.
    It's subsided now - I've been following some of the suggestions on LLL articles like eating yogurt, changing bras frequently, letting nipples fully air-dry... and drinking lots of water, which I will continue to do. Thanks for the advice!