Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Working through the emotions of having an older nursling

Default Re: Working through the emotions of having an older nursling

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chargermom View Post
    My DD just turned 4. She nurses in the morning and at night and often when I get home from work (5:00ish). She knows that she cannot nurse in public even though both her little brother s can (DS1 = 2; DS2 = 3 months). She also knows that she is not suppose to nurse when she falls and gets a bumped head, scrapped knee, etc - although I admit I break the rules depending on the accident.

I am really getting tired of nursing her (in a way). We have talked for months about how she will wean when she starts pre-school in August. However, this makes her sad and she will even look at me with tears in her eyes and tell me she doesn’t want to wean. I try to make it sound fun by talking about extra hugs and getting to do big girl stuff (this doesn’t seem to help). I guess I struggle with stopping nursing her on my terms when she is clearly telling me she still needs it. On the flip side - oh my goodness she is 4 and I’m nursing 3 people.

So, I stay at the really firm limits stage right now. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.p View Post
    She is so persistent and determined. She'll change the world someday, I swear!
    That is my DD#2! Ya' gotta love 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    :.....the beginning of preschool is already so scary and different....It didn't seem like the right time to me. .....but I wonder if it wouldn't be MORE difficult if you had to watch two other people get to when you couldn't....Does she have to go sleep in a big girl bed too? I want to encourage you to set MORE limits and still honor that need to connect with you while assuring you that her OWN END will probably not be far behind the one you think you have.

Very intersting - I guess I never thought about preschool being scary. But you are right, it is a huge change and she may need nursing. We will see how it pans out. Maybe we can cut it down to one time a day - and let her pick night or morning (i'm betting she picks night).

As far as sleeping, she and 2-year old brother sleep on a pallet on our floor and new baby sleeps in bed with DH and I. DD and DS1 have a perfectly cute room which never gets slept in except when company comes. Oh well - one day they will decide they are ready for their own room.

Thanks for your experiences, it is always so helpful to hear what other mommas have done.

And Kelly - Do not feel like you are whining. That is exactly what this forum is for. For moms to come and express all their feelings and get support!!