Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: skipping meals and milk supply?

Question skipping meals and milk supply?

How does skipping a meal affect my milk supply? Sometimes I miss lunch or breakfast, what harm does this cause?

Default Re: skipping meals and milk supply?

as abby stated, i don't think missing a meal will affect your supply...but you should try to make up those missed calories during another meal. according to the following website, "While nursing, you should not consume less than 1500-1800 calories per day, and most women should stay at the high end of this range. Some mothers will require much more than this, but studies show that going below this number may put supply at risk."
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...eightloss.html

i get busy at work, too, sometimes that i'm not able to eat a full lunch...so i just grab some fruit from the deli and maybe a cup of yogurt, too.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Default Re: skipping meals and milk supply?

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    Hi,

Women in Africa are very undernorished and starving, and still have tons of good quality milk!!

Abby
    LOL I say this ALL the time to my neighbor! She insists that if I don't eat more, my milk supply is going to go down.

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com