Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: setting boundaries?

Default setting boundaries?

What are some ways you have been able to set boundaries for nursing with your toddler? DD is 2yrs & 9 mos old & still nurses morning, night, & nap and I'm ok with that. But there are times she just wants to sit & nurse while watching a movie or something especially late morning & just wants to stay in my lap constantly nursing. I've tried distraction, but it doesn't always work. I don;t want to be negative, but I'm not sure what to say to discourage her from nursing for a couple of hours in the morning.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Default Re: setting boundaries?

If the "rule" is only Wake up, nap and bedtime.. than hold firm. Two years 9 months is old enough to understand any boundary set in place. Just be consistent about it. She can cuddle and sit in your lap but if she reaches for the breasts just say "Remember Honey, we only do that at X,Y and Z times." If she persists, get up. Get moving. The temptation is too great and she needs help. It may mean pausing the movie. Or even Stopping it to go outside. But the best distraction ever is OUTSIDE. It's summertime. Get out. Stay out. Hold firm to your lines and by the time fall comes it should be no problem.

Way too lazy for formula