Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Left side empty, but Rt. Side won't give up!

Default Left side empty, but Rt. Side won't give up!

I'm just curious if this is normal. My baby weaned herself last week and I've been trying to pump to give her as much breastmilk in her sippy cup as possible until my body gives up completely. I only get a few drops from the left side and still 4 oz from the right. (I've been using the dual pump and even switching it up incase the pump isn't working properly). I've tried two times to just stop pumping and let it dry up, but it's so silly looking...one huge right breast and a tiny left. lol

Just so you know, we nursed for 9.5 months! : D
    Last edited by @llli*momof2sweetgirls; June 30th, 2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: To add baby's age

Default Re: Left side empty, but Rt. Side won't give up!

It is very uncommon for a baby to self wean before a year- it is much more common for them to go through a nursing strike. this link has some more info.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...st.html#strike Are you going to continue pumping till a year or use formula? Just wondering what your goal is.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

and its normal for one breast to have more milk then the other..
    If you keep pumping or hand expressing you should see more milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    It is very uncommon for a baby to self wean before a year- it is much more common for them to go through a nursing strike. this link has some more info.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...st.html#strike
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Your breasts will continue to produce milk as long as you express / nurse everyday. even if your baby is now getting formula and eating solids, if you express your milk everyday you will always have a liite milk in there. If you express more frequently, like every 2-3 hours your supply will increase . you can always give your expressed milk to your baby. You can mix it in cereal, mash it up in sweet potatoes etc.

It is common for one side to have more milk than the other. Many Mothers have a comfort side and a side that the baby/toddler likes for fast let down/more milk when they are hungry.

My kids used to debate over who got the breast with more milk first when the TN together.
    Alene
    LLL Leader