Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dehydration and night nursing - x posting

Default Dehydration and night nursing - x posting

My DS is 26mo and is still breastfeeding LOTS, esp at night. He co-sleeps, and usually breastfeeds very frequently tho not for long periods at a time.

I think I am experiencing *dehydration* in the morning.

Whe I wake, I am very thirsty and also feel weak.

I do have urination during the night and when I wake. But, I have very little after that until afternoon. Even after drinking 24 oz of water or juice in the morning, I still have no urination for hours.

My big symptom I think is swelling/edema. My hands feel swollen. My legs clearly are retaining water. From my understanding, dehydration causes one to retain water.

I may have a kidney problem involved in all of this, specifically lupus nephritis is suspected. I had a lupus dx 9 years ago, after my DS#2 was born - but I've never had much symptoms. But now, it seems that possibly my kidneys are involved.

So, I was wondering if any of you here have experience/advice regarding my condition?

Thank you so much!
    April

Default Re: Dehydration and night nursing - x posting

No experience, but have you gone to see your doctor?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

awe I don't know much about this but a big hug too you...

Have you talked to your doctor? That might be wise!

Thanks guys! I am in the process of testing re my potential kidney issues. When doing my urine collection recently, I just realized that maybe my night breastfeeding is involved.

When I talk to my doc about this, I know that I'll be told to stop breastfeeding either fully or at night... I think that even my natural guy is going to say that.

My DS is very much still a cuddly baby and loves to breastfeed, so I really don't want to stop. I would be willing to reduce night breastfeeding, but I think it will be very hard for my DS.

April

Why do you think the night nursing is to blame? Can you start drinking water at night? Or are you already? If it's something to do with your kidneys, then it's not the nursing, right?

Sorry, I don't know much about these types of conditions. I have had leg cramps and headaches in the middle of the night when I don't remind myself to drink water throughout the night.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

When I recenty did a 24 hour urine collection, I noticed that I had no AM urine except for just after waking. That made me think that I may be dehydrated in the AM but am able to get over that somewhat in the aftn.

If my kidneys are not at full function, I would guess that becoming dehydrated would only make that worse.

I actually have not been drinking water at night, except for a small sip or two. I don't really feel thirsty in the night. BUT, I m going to start drinking good amt of water during the night. Hoping it helps.

Thanks
    April

What color is your urine throughout the day? When you first wake up? Later on? I always like to see a pale yellow to almost clear pee.

I don't have any underlying medical conditions, and with my thirsty night nurser if I don't drink several glasses of water overnight I wake up thirsty and with dark yellow urine.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Early AM is def dark yellow. My urine is yellow all day and not that light either. I am making myself drink extra water today (beyond thirst) and am seeing the light light yellow/clear.

I just hope I haven't totally messed up my health by not drinking at night. I always thought I was supposed to drink to thirst, but that's not een enough.

I never had problems with just drinking to thirst with DS1 and DS2, but they were not big night nursers.

Thanks

See how it goes with drinking more water?

If I'm not getting enough fluids in I do feel weak and headachey.

You CAN over-hydrate (hyponatremia) but personally I've only worried about that in situations when I'm sweating buckets like with high humidity or when I was doing long distance cycling events.

Another thought - with the double demands on your body of pg and bf you may need to up your fluid intake?
    Lynn

okay - and a little on dehydration symptoms

Mild to moderate dehydration is likely to cause:
    • Dry, sticky mouth
    • Sleepiness or tiredness — children are likely to be less active than usual
    • Thirst
    • Decreased urine output — fewer than six wet diapers a day for infants and eight hours or more without urination for older children and teens
    • Few or no tears when crying
    • Muscle weakness
    • Headache
    • Dizziness or lightheadedness
    Severe dehydration, a medical emergency, can cause:
    • Extreme thirst
    • Extreme fussiness or sleepiness in infants and children; irritability and confusion in adults
    • Very dry mouth, skin and mucous membranes
    • Lack of sweating
    • Little or no urination — any urine that is produced will be dark yellow or amber
    • Sunken eyes
    • Shriveled and dry skin that lacks elasticity and doesn't "bounce back" when pinched into a fold
    • In infants, sunken fontanels — the soft spots on the top of a baby's head
    • Low blood pressure
    • Rapid heartbeat
    • Fever
    • In the most serious cases, delirium or unconsciousness
    Unfortunately, thirst isn't always a reliable gauge of the body's need for water, especially in children and older adults. A better barometer is the color of your urine: Clear or light-colored urine means you're well hydrated, whereas a dark yellow or amber color usually signals dehydration.

When to see a doctor
    If you're a healthy adult, you can usually treat mild to moderate dehydration by drinking more fluids. Get immediate medical care if you develop severe signs and symptoms such as extreme thirst, no urination for eight hours, shriveled skin, dizziness and confusion.
    Since you're pg and also have other medical stuff you're looking into - probably a good idea to also follow up with doc / midwife.
    Lynn