Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I make my baby's mouth open WIDER

Default How can I make my baby's mouth open WIDER

I just breastfed my purely bottle fed 1.5month old baby yesterday and I'm trying to make him latch on properly. He opens his mouth when I tickle his upper lip with my nipple but closes it quickly once he feels the nipple's about to go in. I'm trying the lower breast tissue first then roll over to insert the nipple.

He is actually able to insert my entire areola and nipple in his mouth but I think he's upper lip isn't flanged out. And I feel a bit of pain when he sucks. I'm not suppose to feel pain right? When he's sucking, I feel a little pain in the areola part but when I remove my nipple, seems like my nipple is also sore.

I'm thinking maybe it's because he's been feeding from the bottle for too long so he tends to just close his mouth quickly just like when he feeds from the bottle. And his upper lip looks the same as when he is feeding from the bottle (tucked in or I THINK it's tucked in coz I can't really see the pink lip). His lower lip is flanged out though. And I hear swallowing. Overall, he's very content but I want to get rid of the pain and soreness.

Or maybe I need to be faster and shove his mouth towards my breast once he opens it?

I'm combing pumping and breastfeeding so he isn't going to starve, I just want to be able to experience successful breastfeeding and have the option whether to BF or pump especially when I go back to work
    First time mom to Baby Boy S (May 10, 2010)
    After 1 and half months of purely bottle feeding my breastmilk, I'm no longer an EP'r!
    and now! Just trying to heal my blisters!!
    I can't wait for the day that I'll have so much milk, I'll fill our freezer!

Default Re: How can I make my baby's mouth open WIDER

My son used to have the upper lip tucked in too. I'd just kind of brush it with my finger to get it out. I never noticed a difference in his latch, but it seemed like his lip should be out so I always did it.

Another thing you could try is 'scissoring' your breast between your first 2 fingers as you put it in his mouth. Put your fingers right on the outside edge of the areola and squash it a bit flatter, then when you put it in his mouth you can let go and it will sort of push his mouth open wider.

You could also try showing him by opening your mouth really wide. He might mimic you and open his mouth.

Here's an article about getting baby back to the breast. Not everything will apply to your situation, but there might be some other tips in there that would be useful for you.

With both my kids there was a little pain in the beginning, just mild soreness, as they were learning how to latch. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless it is really bothering you or if you see damage to your nipples.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with the PP. Definitely try the "scissors" technique she mentions. I'd also suggest going to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Hands-on help can make an incredible difference!

I'm not sure I'd try "shoving" the baby towards the breast- when you're trying to get a baby to nurse again you want to keep the experience as gentle and fun as possible for him. You don't want him to decide that he doesn't want to nurse because he associates being at the breast with an unpleasant sensation or rough movement. (Not that you'd be rough- just that the baby might perceive it as startling or something.)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I know it sounds silly but sometimes if you say open wide and then show them with your mouth they catch on and will open wide.

hmm I'll try the scissors thing, hopefully he doesn't close his mouth on my nipple haha! I'll make sure I flatten it towards my chest.

I have to pause on breastfeeding though. I think I got blisters. After pumping or breastfeeding, my left nipple has "bubbles" filled with clear liquid. If it's after breastfeeding, it's filled with blood (I assume its blood coz it's red)

And I also read blisters can also be a symptom of thrush but from what I read, I don't have the other symptoms.

Does anyone know if the blister goes away in a few minutes after pumping or breastfeeding, is it a milk blister or is it thrush?

Re: saying open wide. Really? I was thinking at 7 weeks they might not be able to respond to those things yet hehe I'll give it a try. He smiles and plays with me but when I make simple facial expressions, he doesn't copy me.

Re: "Shoving" that's how I saw some what the LC's do in the videos. When the baby opens their mouth they quickly press the baby's head towards the nipple so I'm thinking I may not be quick enough.

*sigh*
    I'm so lucky my baby isn't picky, he isn't even complaining about the latch, he doesn't fall off the latch either, I'm able to hear him swallow especially during let down, he can just stay forever on my breast until I remove him.. but my nipples just can't stand it grrrr
    First time mom to Baby Boy S (May 10, 2010)
    After 1 and half months of purely bottle feeding my breastmilk, I'm no longer an EP'r!
    and now! Just trying to heal my blisters!!
    I can't wait for the day that I'll have so much milk, I'll fill our freezer!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    I know it sounds silly but sometimes if you say open wide and then show them with your mouth they catch on and will open wide.
    I had the same experience. I would tell my baby to open wide and he would because I didn't let him stay latched on until he got it right.