Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does night weaning really help?

Default Does night weaning really help?

My dd is almost 20 months and still nurses day and night. She has cut back dramatically in her daytime nursings but she still nurses a bunch at night. I have been feeling "done" for 4 months, but I said that I wanted to nurse to at least 2 probably more and have kept going this long because I would feel bad to stop. Dh has noticed that as soon as dd asks to nurse, I tense up and even if I'm having a good day that turns me into a grump. I really don't feel that now is a good time to stop nursing, I want to be close to dd, I want her to get the benefits, and I want this to be a special time for us. She's turning into such a big girl and is fiercely independent and its nice to hold onto this one little snuggle baby thing. So I was wondering, would night weaning help improve the bfing relationship?
    Wife to my best friend 07/16/05
    Momma to my angel Trust Matthew 10/10/07
    Finally expecting again! 11/18/08

Default Re: Does night weaning really help?

Getting more sleep at night made a huge difference for me.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

yup wss...

It might help to cut baby a little bit, it does sound like she is reverse cycleing.

Night-weaning helped me a huge amount! A full night's rest meant that I welcomed a nice cuddly, giggly morning nursing session, instead of feeling that resentful "Not again!" feeling.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Absolutely! I didn't find that I had any more sleep when I nightweaned, BUT the fact that I woke up in the morning after having had no one touching/pulling/grabbing/bothering my breasts made me willing to comfortably nurse as much as my son wanted all day long. At this age, it's much more about the relationship, and much less about survival. You and your daughter can find ways to meet in the middle so both your needs are met.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Well you ladies have me half convinced. I think we will do this too after the upcoming holiday. It's awful to feel annoyed when they ask to nurse. I think Lilah is nursing 20 plus times a day right now. Although I know her canines are coming in and bugging her...

@llli*brennan - are your DDs teeth all in yet?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    @llli*brennan - are your DDs teeth all in yet?
    Yes her teeth are all in. Well its good to hear that it works, as soon as we get back from holidays, she is night weaning! I'm so excited!

Night weaning got DD1 STTN, but not DD2. She finally just got really good about sleeping all night at nearly 3 years old. I love her, but she's the reason I'll never have another.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Absolutely! I didn't find that I had any more sleep when I nightweaned, BUT the fact that I woke up in the morning after having had no one touching/pulling/grabbing/bothering my breasts made me willing to comfortably nurse as much as my son wanted all day long. At this age, it's much more about the relationship, and much less about survival. You and your daughter can find ways to meet in the middle so both your needs are met.
    With all this especially the bolded.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yeah its not so much about the sleep, I just want my boobs back for a couple of hours!
    Last edited by @llli*brennan; June 30th, 2010 at 09:26 PM.