Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding to sleep... how will my baby get to sleep when we quit BF'ing?

Default Breastfeeding to sleep... how will my baby get to sleep when we quit BF'ing?

Help! I am a first time mother of a 13 month old who has never taken a bottle, only breast-fed. Currently, we BF first thing in the morning, right before he takes his nap, and right before bed. He eats solids the rest of the day.

He always falls asleep at the breast (except for his morning feeding) and I don't know how I'm going to get him to sleep once we stop nursing. Not sure how long I will continue to nurse, we're just playing by ear. My goal was one year (we made it!) but as long as he still wants to, I am all for it - knowing how beneficial extended breast-feeding is for him. I'm with him all the time anyway, I might as well BF as long as I can.

However, he has got more teeth lately and they are starting to rub on my nipples when he nurses (and he's bit a few times) and that hurts so I don't know if I can continue for much longer, and it worries me in that I don't know how he'll get to sleep without Breast-feeding to sleep.

I just purchased the book "No Cry Sleep Solution", as I heard it is good, so hopefully that will have some ideas, but wondering if you mom's out there may have some advice. FYI I know I cannot do the 'cry it out' method, just too hard on baby...and mom. Advice please Thanks much

Default Re: Breastfeeding to sleep... how will my baby get to sleep when we quit BF'ing?

with the PP. If you're not planning on weaning any time soon, just relax (and keep working on the nursing manners!). At 13 months there's not a lot that interests your LO before bed, but as time goes on he'll be more interested in stories and cuddles than in nursing as ways to transition to sleep. I nursed my first before bed until she was 3, and then the transition to a story and a cuddle with mommy or papa came spontaneously.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Breastfeeding to sleep... how will my baby get to sleep when we quit BF'ing?

Also, my daughter falls asleep with other people without nursing. She will not accept falling asleep with me without nursing. Do you have someone else who can help take over bedtime once or twice a week?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I have no advice for you but was kind of thinking ahead and wondering the same thing.
    When my MIL watches him while I am at work, she uses a pacifier to get him to sleep. This is the only time my son ever has pacifiers. I hate them lol.

Glad you asked this question : )
    Keep the advice coming ladies!
    I know I cannot do the cry it out method either.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09