Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: She's constantly straining!

Unhappy Re: She's constantly straining!

My newborn is doing this too and it hurts to watch her go through it. She seems to go through it the same time every day, at around 7 am. What confuses me is why doesn't it happen any other times during the day? She spits up after eating every meal (breastfed) even after she is held upright for a half hour. Most of the time her spitup is clear but when she is straining it is thick and white. I have tried holding her legs up, the thermometer in the butt, rubbing her tummy, etc. Nothing seems to help.
    Last edited by Peggyo1; October 22nd, 2006 at 08:00 AM.

Default Re: She's constantly straining!

Quote Originally Posted by Peggyo1 View Post
    My newborn is doing this too and it hurts to watch her go through it. She seems to go through it the same time every day, at around 7 am. What confuses me is why doesn't it happen any other times during the day? She spits up after eating every meal (breastfed) even after she is held upright for a half hour. Most of the time her spitup is clear but when she is straining it is thick and white. I have tried holding her legs up, the thermometer in the butt, rubbing her tummy, etc. Nothing seems to help.
    The fact that you said it is around a specific time each day rang a bell- that reminds me of the description of colic. They say that when babies are colicky it's usually at a specific time, the same time of each day. Usually it's closer to the evening but it doesn't have to be. My pediatrician also told me that my DD's seeming discomfort is probably just that. She said if that's what it is, it will probably get better after 6-8 weeks. I know it hurts to watch them go through it and not know what to do, but we will come out on top. No matter what it is, things will most likely get easier with time.

Default Re: She's constantly straining!

Definitely sounds like gas to me. My LO was so gassy to the point that he couldn't even fall asleep. I gave him a drop of mylicon and it was nothing short of a miracle but the fussiness and grunting, and legs drawn up, etc. just went away. I also bicylce legs (which can be difficult when he is moving so much) and burping to no end. But the mylicon worked.