Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She's constantly straining!

Default She's constantly straining!

I may be concerned over nothing, especially since the pediatrician just gave her a checkup and said she looks fine. (I didn't ask about what I am about to explain though.)

Sophie seems to constantly strain. Whenever she's awake, more than half of the time actually, she is grunting, arching, straining, squirming,, turning red, tensing up and grunting some more. It's like when a baby is trying to poo, but she does it almost all the time. She often even grunts herself to sleep.

Last night it was at an all-time bad. She didn't sleep for hours, it was like she was hyped up on caffeine. She was breathing heavily and very fast, acting kind of twitchy, and even though you could tell she was tired, it was as if she just couldn't fall asleep. Finally I got her to stay down at about 5 am.

I make sure she's fed, changed, burp her repeatedly, and even check her temp when I'm really worried. She rarely actually cries unless she's really hungry, so she must not be in great pain, but she just always seems to be sooo uncomfortable and I can't figure out what's wrong.

Could it just be the way she likes to move and make noise? It's just so constant and it doesn't "feel right" to me. She has pretty much always been this way since she stopped sleeping all day.

Any suggestions? Similar experiences?
    Last edited by JustSasha; October 6th, 2006 at 08:21 PM.

Default Re: She's constantly straining!

It sounds like she is like my baby... but he is obviously gassy. Many audible toots during the day! Is your baby "tooting" more than normal? About this time is when our little ones' digestive tracts are adjusting to our milk and everything... and the little ones are becoming much more aware of the sensations! This can be (understandably) uncomfortable, and the only way that our babies can express this is by the grunts and small noises that they make as their little tummies get these new sensations.

If gas is your baby's problem, I would try some gentle baby massage, especially around the tummy. Bicycling the legs also seems to help some.

Let me know how it works out!

Falcona-

I heard lots and LOTS of rumbling in that little belly last night, so I was suspicious of gassiness. She does toot a lot as well. I was thinking I should just burp her- I will try bicycling and massages too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sounds a little like gas to me too. And this might be strange to ask- but do you have any artificial sweeteners in your diet? It took awhile to figure out, but they were making my dd act the very same way you describe until I figured it out. Also, newborns need time for thier brain chemistry to regulate a little bit before they have control over such strange behaviors- it is why they don't have control over thier little arms and legs, and why they are such restless sleepers at times. Mine grunted and snorted and made all kinds of noises in her first few weeks. I worried too until I read that it was pretty normal newborn behavior. As always, look to diaper output if you are concerned but as far as I know, it is not unusual.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Sweetiejo5-

I HAVE recently had artificial sweeteners! I was weary of it, because they don't reccomend them during pregnancy, but I had a little in something to drink. If it means she won't act like that again, I'll cut them out of my diet totally. She was scaring me a little bit.

I did think that maybe she wasn't controlling her noises and movements, but she just seems so uncomfortable sometimes, I had to try and see if there was possibly another cause. I'm going to attempt gas remedies and see if it helps, I have noticed she spits up almost as soon as I lay her down too.

Her diaper output is good, usually great. It's been slightly less since I stopped waking her in the night for feedings (I would wake her every 2-3 hours or so, now she'll sleep for 4-5 hours at a time) but the count is still more than adequate.

thanks for the tips!

The ped. said that it is most likely just gas or a touch of colic as long as she is sleeping okay and producing dirty diapers. Apparently a lot of babies are inexplicably fussy until approximately 6-8 weeks, according to her doctor, who also said lots of people think it has to do with discomfort while their digestive systems adapt.

I am going t try not to be so worrysome!

You're being brave- it's best to ask if you are not sure Nothing to be ashamed of... but I am glad that your little girl is healthy and normal!

I'm so glad you asked that. My baby does the same thing. I worry too!! I thought it was due to his relux, then the Dr. said that "pooping scares them" & they try to hold it in? My baby seems like he is "pushing" all the time! (even now- he's in his crib & I can hear him "pushing" over the monitor). I hate it. He even does it in his sleep. Poor thing!
    I never thought about cutting out art. sweetners... I drink a diet coke every day (literally). I couldn't wait to drink one after not being pregnant- but I'll try to stop that for a week & see if it changes. (good idea sweetiejo)
    Anyways- glad that you wrote about that since it sounds like I wrote it. haha. Let me know anything new you hear.

Quote Originally Posted by becmic57 View Post
    I'm so glad you asked that. My baby does the same thing.
    Yeah isn't it awful?? I feel bad setting her down even to go to the bathroom because I can hear her grunting like she's in pain. She does it a lot in her sleep, too. Her doctor said it's probably because when they're young they still have to develop their digestive systems... She said it would probably get worse up until 6 weeks, then start getting better after 8 weeks. Hopefully!

I am so glad I found this! Mine is doing the same thing. He just acts like he is straining all the time and seems so uncomfortable. His father has been very worried about the grunting. Our other two didn't do that. Maybe this will help reassure him.