Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping - sharp pain on breast

Default Pumping - sharp pain on breast

Hi!

I'm exclusively pumping for my 1 and half month old baby and sometimes I'd feel a sharp burst of pain on one of my breast. It's tolerable since it's really short but I'm wondering if it's normal or maybe because I'm pumping too long and too frequent?

I pump 11-12 times within 24 hours. Most times I extend beyond the 15 minutes (goes up to 20, 30 or 40mins) in order to wait for the 2nd let down to make sure I empty the breast.

Sometimes I'd also feel this pain while pumping. The pain feels like it's running through a vein.
    First time mom to Baby Boy S (May 10, 2010)
    After 1 and half months of purely bottle feeding my breastmilk, I'm no longer an EP'r!
    and now! Just trying to heal my blisters!!
    I can't wait for the day that I'll have so much milk, I'll fill our freezer!

Default Re: Pumping - sharp pain on breast

What you describe could be the letdown sensation, which some moms describe as a sharp electrical tingling or pain running through the breast. Do you see milk squirting out into the pump when this happens?

I doubt you're pumping too long or too often.

Can you share why you're EPing? If you're having trouble with nursing straight from the tap, we may be able to help!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, and let us know whether you have any other symptoms, like sore nipples or a tender spot on your breast.

I've always had a dull aching pain at letdown - sometimes it's intense enough to send a shiver down my spine! It's still like that and I've been nursing for over a year now. It only lasts a second, and I've gotten more used to it with time. I had this sensation pretty much from Day 1 (or Day 3, when my milk came in); however, I hear that many women don't start to feel a letdown until about a month, so you are right on schedule for that.

However, a burning shooting pain at letdown can also be a symptom of thrush or even a clogged duct - but, you would have other unpleasant symptoms as well. Let us know.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I don't think it's a let down though because I feel a rush that isn't really that sharp which I assume is the letdown because milk drips out of my breast when I'm not pumping. Unless there's another version to how a let down should feel? (like what you guys described). The sharp pain is sometimes also coming from near my nipple. So far I've experienced it only on my right breast.

I'm EPng because when I came out of the hospital, my nipples were bleeding from trying to breastfeed for 2 days(I think I failed in making him latch properly) and the pedia said my baby already had low diaper output. My pedia then suggested if I wanted to just pump since she herself exclusively pumped for all of her 5 kids for a year since she needed to go back to work within a week's time. Although she also gave me a choice of hiring a lactation consultant which she would gladly give the number to me. I chose pumping since I was going back to work in 2 months time and was really planning to pump at work for a year.

So now I'm kinda regretting my choice of not being able to have the chance to nurse or pump seeing that it is a bonding experience with the baby and figured nursing would be a welcome break from hooking myself on the machine. It's also only now that I've researched that I can actually pump in the office and nurse my baby in the evenings after work. I thought once I bottle feed my baby after 2 months, he would be rejecting my breast.

I've read about some being able to do direct breastfeeding even after 2 months of bottle feeding but I'm thinking I may not have time to try it since I'll be working in 2 weeks time plus I don't even know if I can do the proper latch on. My working schedule would be 6x a week and 8 hours a day so I really only have time to be with my baby in the evenings and sundays.
    After 1 and half months of purely bottle feeding my breastmilk, I'm no longer an EP'r!

Hey =)

I tried breastfeeding and he took it! =) But I only did it AFTER I fed him from a bottle because I feared if he was too hungry he might bruise me too much. i'll try again on the next feeding without the bottle. See if he's patient enough to get the milk out from my breast.

My nipples got bloodied though. That's normal for first timers right?

I don't think it's a let down though because I feel a rush that isn't really that sharp which I assume is the letdown because milk drips out of my breast when I'm not pumping. Unless there's another version to how a let down should feel? (like what you guys described). The sharp pain is sometimes also coming from near my nipple. So far I've experienced it only on my right breast.
    This is a tough one! So you don't get the same sensation when pumping, just when the milk lets down when you're not pumping? I'm still leaning towards this being related to letdown...

I tried breastfeeding and he took it! =) But I only did it AFTER I fed him from a bottle because I feared if he was too hungry he might bruise me too much.
    That's AWESOME!!! You're correct that a lot of babies won't nurse if they've had a 2 month break. Good for you for trying this, and succeeding! It was smart to put the baby on the breast after he'd bottle-fed- that's a great way to make sure the baby is relaxed and ready to try out the breast.

My nipples got bloodied though. That's normal for first timers right?
    No, not really! 1 nursing session shouldn't be enough to get you to the point of being bloody. Were you in pain while he was nursing? The last thing you want to do is to end up so severely traumatized that you're in pain when nursing and pumping. I would suggest contacting a lactation consultant immediately, preferably an IBCLC. If you're going to keep on trying to nurse, I think you're going benefit a lot from professional, hands-on help.

Has your baby been checked for tongue-tie? If he's bloodying you as badly at 1.5 months as he was when he was a teeny-tiny newborn, I'm thinking that there may be something going on with his mouth that is causing all this trauma.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    No, not really! 1 nursing session shouldn't be enough to get you to the point of being bloody. Were you in pain while he was nursing? The last thing you want to do is to end up so severely traumatized that you're in pain when nursing and pumping. I would suggest contacting a lactation consultant immediately, preferably an IBCLC. If you're going to keep on trying to nurse, I think you're going benefit a lot from professional, hands-on help.

Has your baby been checked for tongue-tie? If he's bloodying you as badly at 1.5 months as he was when he was a teeny-tiny newborn, I'm thinking that there may be something going on with his mouth that is causing all this trauma.
    I think it's because he wasn't latched on properly. I did feel pain *sob* , I tried to remove and place him back in until there was minimal pain but a bit of pain is always there and I noticed his top lip isn't flanged out so I researched more on how to properly latch on and I found this video:
    http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/..._latch_on.html

Which I will try later. I've watched other videos when I was pregnant and I would keep seeing that the nipple is inserted first before the breast (or I may not have been paying close attention!) but in this video I realized the bottom breast should go in first then roll in the nipple.

I'll probably pump the whole day to heal my nipple and just breastfeed at night before he goes to bed. I hope this won't deter him from taking my breast in the future.

But I notice he's more relax when I breastfeed, he closes his eyes while breastfeeding and when we are done, he sleeps right away and tends to sleep longer than when he was bottlefed with breastmilk.

That is AWESOME that your LO is taking to breastfeeding after a break!

Does it hurt the whole time while he nurses or just during initial latch? I will tell you that with both of my children, even with a good latch, it did hurt for the first couple of weeks or so. It's like my nipples had to toughen up. But it only hurt during initial latch. Bleeding is an indication that something is wrong with latch. Help from an IBCLC could only be helpful.

Keep trying Mama!

I've established through posting here:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...597#post963597

that I have blisters on my right side *sob* that's why it was bloody. The blood was actually in the blisters.

But my left is blister-free but also sore.

When I breastfed yesterday on my left (giving my right breast a break), I only felt a twinge of pain on the areola part but not on the nipples but when I removed my breast at the end of breastfeeding, the nipple is sore. Whenever I breastfeed the pain isn't so painful that it'll make me want to stop. I just dread the end part of breastfeeding because my nipples would be sore and sensitive. I always remove him when the initial latch on is really painful.

I'm also thinking maybe my nipples need toughening up.

If the baby is drinking sufficiently from the breast, shouldn't the latch-on be "ok" already? The baby really has no complaints, it's just my nipples that won't cooperate.