Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting way back on solids for 9 month old-- is this OK?

Default Re: Cutting way back on solids for 9 month old-- is this OK?

my little man is about to turn 10 months on the 10 and we started solids at 6 months. hes got 4 teeth right and when he started getting the 2 top i started to give him beans and they made him VERY constipated. He eats alot of table food now and does no barley eat baby food! I was worred but im guessing this is him selfweaning. Good Luck!
    Daddy and Mommy are highschool sweethearts!
    08.10.03<3

Young Mommy of 2!
    Cassidy Ann
    32w 4.9lbs 18in
    NICU for 1 and 1/2 months

Damien Joseph
    38w 7.1lbs 19in
    Came home in 2 days!
    and LOVING IT!

I agree about getting iron levels checked to see if a supplement is needed. But given the issues you're describing, it makes sense to me to dial back the solids, and then very slowly, individually, re-introduce them. My son didn't have big, hard poops, but he would strain and cry any only go ever few days. I decided to reduce the volume of solids I was giving him at one point, I think around 9mo, since he was having a hard time after an increase. He did better, and then later I could tell he wanted more solids, and he did fine with an increase in the amount of solids at that point (around 10 1/2 months). Other than getting iron checked, I would go with your instinct for the next few weeks, and then slowly re-introduce solids and see how he does.

Definitely avoid the rice and banana, though, those can be a big problem. And you may also want to go easy on carrots too - apparently some babies have issues with carrots. We had to back off on the carrots for a while before re-introducing them, and now (at 11 1/2 months) he's fine with them, they don't block him up anymore. When you feel your baby is ready, trying pears and red lentils together could be worth trying. The pears help the poop issue, and lentils have lots of fiber and some iron. My son still usually gets both together for breakfast most mornings, and lately he's done very well with the poop stuff.

Good luck!

My son went to a gastroenterologist, and his recommendation is not to restrict food in this situation. He said constipation of this level is NOT due to food, but due to the development of the gut. It's unlikely to be caused by anything he was eating, because I changed his diet and it had no effect. It's more important for the child to be eating a wide variety of nutritious foods at this age, to get used to flavors and textures when he's impressionable and open to new things. We are using Miralax, 2tsp. a day, which seems to have solved the problem. His appetite is back and he can go back to eating all the foods he loved before. What a relief.

My 9MO recently got sick (hand foot and mouth disease which can lead to dehydration). I pretty much cut solids out completely for three days because she wasn't nursing as much and I was way more concerned about her missing out on breastmilk than solids. I think that what you are doing by cutting out certain foods that you think are causing a reaction, and seeing which foods work well, is exactly what the 6-month through 12-month time period is for. It's for experimentation, figuring out what they are sensitive too, etc. I wouldn't cut out food completely but it doesn't sound like you are doing that.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

The point my doctor made, though, is not that he's sensitive to a particular food. It's just the way some people's gut develops, it removes more water from stool regardless of what you eat. This fits with my experience b/c everything I tried, including removing almost all food except fruits, did not work to relieve the constipation. Then, the ensuing constipation and pain cause the baby to retain the stool on purpose, which makes the constipation worse. Giving the Miralax solves the problem by pulling more water into the stool, softening it so it passes easily and the baby doesn't hold it in.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shaolin.kitten View Post
    I will try the water idea. My doctor told me water was unnecessary with a BF baby, but I'll try it b/c it can't hurt. He eats prunes for breakfast every day, often with peaches. Every day! But still blocked up.

I'm distressed at this point b/c we're down to hardly any food at all, all of it on the unconstipating list, and he's still constipated.
    water isn't necessary to a baby that is ONLY getting breastmilk. once you introduce solids, baby should be drinking a little water with and between meals, but no more than 4-6 ounces a day, unless it is very hot outside.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/