Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting way back on solids for 9 month old-- is this OK?

Default Cutting way back on solids for 9 month old-- is this OK?

My son was EBF until 6 months and is now 9 months. With the introduction of solids he has been intermittently severely constipated, so much so that the stools have become very large and hard to pass. Everything I try (daily prunes and pears, black beans and lentils, flaxseed oil) works great for about a week, then he reverts back to constipation, just as bad as before.

I have decided to cut out everything but the fruits (peaches, prunes, pears, watermelon, maybe some avocado or kiwi if I have them on hand). Also, will continue with the 1 tsp/day of flaxseed oil. No cereal, no beans/tofu/lentils, no other veggies. Plus breastmilk on demand.

Is this safe? Will I be depriving him of necessary nutrients with this diet? Does he need the cereal and protein sources for iron? I'm getting desperate for solutions here.

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Cutting way back on solids for 9 month old-- is this OK?

I don't know all your answers but I do know that breastmilk provides primary nutrition for the first year of life.

I also know that:
    Does he need the cereal and protein sources for iron
    this problem can be solved with a simple supplement. You might want to get a test for baby first to see if your LO even needs it.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I'm not a dietitian - but IMO seems perfectly okay to me to back off from solids if they are causing your LO trouble!

I find this info from kellymom.com to be very reassuring:

Some toddlers are eating very few solids, or even no solids, at 12 months. This is not unusual and really depends on your child - there is quite a big variation. We like to see breastmilk making up the majority (around 75%) of baby's diet at 12 months. Some babies will be taking more solids by 12 months, but others will still be exclusively or almost-exclusively breastfed at this point. It is normal for baby to keep breastmilk as the primary part of his diet up until 18 months or even longer. An example of a nice gradual increase in solids would be 25% solids at 12 months, 50% solids at 18 months, and 80% solids at 24 months.
    As for rice cereal - it is notorious for being very constipating, and the iron in rice cereal really isn't in the best most useful form for baby.

IME its far better to feed baby foods that are high in iron. I haven't done rice cereal with either of my babies and both have been fine with their iron levels.

Some resources for food sources of iron:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html
    http://askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...trient&dbid=70

If you're doing lots of fruits - watch out for bananas! They are also very constipating. I can only give my baby teeny bites of banana or else he gets really stopped up.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

with the PPs. I would definitely cut out the rice cereal- your can get iron into your baby in other ways, by feeding him leafy greens (for example).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Don't be worried about nutrition. I have a 9 1/2 month old and I have never starte solids, cereal, or anything. He is still exclusively breastfed. He is fine!!
    Meeting milestones, plenty of energy, extremely happy outgoing and content.
    Breastmilk is PLENTY of nutrition. Its the superior food!!!
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

this might be helpful to you

from that link:

New foods or milks can set off constipation. Has your baby begun new foods, switched from breast milk to formula, or formula to cow's milk? If you suspect a food or milk change as the culprit, return to the looser-stool diet.

my dd will have trouble pooping if she has more then 1/2 a bannana a day...

I have never given rice cereal-- only oats, millet, barley, and quinoa, and all homemade. I cut those out, as well as all the protein sources (beans, lentils, tofu, yogurt). He is refusing to eat much anyway at this point, only peaches, pears, prunes, watermelon, and kiwi.

You would think, eating only that, breast milk, and flaxseed oil, he would be pooping. He isn't. The last poop was so large (the diameter of a US quarter!) that he could not pass it without help. That was 3 days ago.

I think a referral to a gastroenterologist is in order...

Lots of wise advice here, just wanted to add a couple other thoughts into the mix...
    1) Maybe slow down also with the variety of solids you're giving. If you only give one food 1-2 times a day for a span of 3 days, you'll then be able to pin point the stopper uppers AND the foods that baby does well with. Then in the future you'll know what foods to give baby to counteract the contipation (so far, for my baby its pears and peas).
    2) Are you giving baby any water? Remember breastmilk contains a lot of water, so if baby's getting less bm and more solids he might not be staying well hydrated which leads to constipation. You can water down the purees with a little water or better yet, offer baby a sippy cup or bottle of water with their solids meal. (Our 8 month old loves to help herself to a sip of water after every bite, it's hilarious to watch the little habit she's formed with barely any encouragement, and she's staying well hydrated.)

I will try the water idea. My doctor told me water was unnecessary with a BF baby, but I'll try it b/c it can't hurt. He eats prunes for breakfast every day, often with peaches. Every day! But still blocked up.

I'm distressed at this point b/c we're down to hardly any food at all, all of it on the unconstipating list, and he's still constipated.

When my baby got super constipated soon after starting solids I backed WAY off solids and then pretty much "started over" slowly so we had a better idea of which foods were the issue.

We do a sippy of water with meals, but otherwise just breastmilk.

My thinking is that I like to have something to drink during a meal to help "wash things down". Baby maybe gets a couple oz water total during the whole day.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)