Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Safe Sleep Aids?

Default Safe Sleep Aids?

Are there any sleep aids that are safe to take while breastfeeding?

I'm going a little bonkers. My 5 month old son, Jeffrey, has just begun to sleep through the night and now I've found that I can't. I wake up every 3 or 4 hours (gee, I wonder where that came from? ), and I can't get back to sleep for the life of me. I've gone through tons of things that are suposed to help you sleep - warm milk, bananas, baths, even counting sheep! (You think I'm kidding and I'm not...)

What I'd like to do is use an OTC to get my sleep cycle back, and then stop. I don't think I need anything long-term. But I haven't been able to find anything about OTC sleep aids and breastfeeding other than the vague general "talk to your doctor, may pass into breastmilk" warnings.

Any help would be greatly apreciated!

~Rizu

Default Re: Safe Sleep Aids?

My OB and Ped said "in moderation" Tylenol PM was OK....I probably take one every week or so when needed with sleep. But again that was advise from my Dr and everyone's DR are different....your baby is a little older too so they can metbolize better than say a 0-4 month old...

I just saw my OB yesterday for my 6 week check up. She gave me a prescription for Ambien. She said that sleep deprivation can take a toll on your body and she suggested that for two nights in a row, if I can get someone to give the baby a bottle, I should go sleep in another room (where I can't hear the baby). The Ambien would help me sleep - especially if I started to feel engorged from missing a feeding.

I haven't filled the script yet, and not sure if I will, but obviously my OB thinks it's okay to take.

My doctor has OK'd Unisom (which is an over the counter antihistamine) and melatonin, which is a supplement to a hormone our bodies make anyway. Both have helped me quite a bit.

Also, stop caffiene (this was hard for me but I did it anyway) and avoid exercise right before bed, try to go to bed and get up at the same time each day! I think also stimulating TV or reading (or internet) before bed can make it harder to sleep as well.

It is hard to sleep sometimes when you are so used to being awakened all night long! I have the same trouble, and my son is 15 months old.

Thanks so much for the replies, I really apreciate it.

I think tonight I'll try the unisom, and if that doesn't work, call my doc and see if I can't get a script for something she recomends.

Thanks again all!