Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feel like I can't go on...

Default Feel like I can't go on...

I would be grateful for any help I can get as I feel like I've tried so hard and am getting nowhere.

I have a 3 1/2 week old baby and breastfeeding is going well for her (she is gaining weight well) but badly for me. We had some latch problems at the start and I gor 2 giant cracks that turned into ulcers on the outside of each nipple. I got some help and my latches, I am now assured, are fine, but the cracks weren't healing. The pain from feeding was really excruciating.

I saw my GP who diagnosed thrush and gave me some cream and I've been airing my nipples constantly while in the house. The cracks are starting to improve after a week, but I am getting new cracks on the inside of my nipples that are causing me horrible pain as the baby laps; these seem to be getting worse not better.

Does anyone know why I'm getting these new cracks? I don't think I can make the latches any better. I can't cope with the awful pain much longer. I'm in tears every day. I'm going to carry on until friday, but if there is no improvement I don't think I can continue. These new cracks will be the end of it if I can't get them to heal. The thought of giving up breaks my heart but I'm a wreck and I can't carry on like this forever.

Thanks

xx

Smile Re: Feel like I can't go on...

Hi Drake, I've been right in your shoes.
    Your baby needs to be treated for oral thrush (usually with the same cream) as s/he is giving it back to you repeatedly so you can't heal. It may cause LO some discomfort too while eating. Call your pedi and find out what to do.

For the LC's here in the hospital advised using a lip cream or Lanisoh purified lanolin cream and keeping it in place with a square of cling film. It's so common that they actually ordered disposable scissors and they give you a metal hospital platter wrapped in cling film with it, and a chemical-y lip cream since both nipples and lips are mucous membranes. I preferred using lanolin, which doesn't have to be wiped off before feeding, even a newborn can ingest it as it's highly purified. The trick is to only use it for 3 consecutive nights, but my cracks were so bad I used it during the day too... and I have Reynaud's which makes thrush even more common. That's probably why I had thrush for five weeks. It was grueling. I got through it with LLL support, KellyMom, and taking the after-birth pain meds for bfing pain! Seriously! I got the ibuprofen and parecetamol refilled for bfing pain. I had zero human milk replacement in the house too to make sure I had no other choice. It was sheer willpower. Lastly, I washed the cloth nappies and my cotton breast pads (togeher!) in 90C wash temps and air-dried throughout treatment to make sure that LO didn't get a fungal nappie rash and cycle the thrush back through my washing machine to me. Maybe the usual 60C cloth nappie wash temp would have been enough but I was in so much pain I took NO chances!

You can do this. Really! Take one day at a time. Tell us how you're doing. Soon you'll notice just how easy bfing is. FOrmula is much mor complicated and harder. Go the easy route--it is easier. I promise you.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Default Re: Feel like I can't go on...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    Your baby needs to be treated for oral thrush (usually with the same cream) as s/he is giving it back to you repeatedly so you can't heal.
    A lot of docs don't realize that both mom and baby must be treated, even if one member of the nursing pair is asymptomatic.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    A lot of docs don't realize that both mom and baby must be treated, even if one member of the nursing pair is asymptomatic.

great advice from the other mamas!

My baby also had thrush for a long time actually...however my nipples were not cracked as you have described yours.

Both you AND babes need to be treated. Thrush can be difficult to get rid of but ask your doctor to treat your baby as well. The usual treatment is Nystatin 4 x day.

You can also visit Dr. Newmans website Kellymom.com. Dr. Newman has developed protocols to deal with thrush and these are available on his website. He notes anecdotes like Gention Violet and Grapeseed extract as helpful in dealing with thrush. He also prescribes a nipple ointment to help deal with the cracking and pain. You can print off the ingredients for the nipple ointment from Dr. newman's webiste and bring it to your own dr and ask him to write the prescription for you.

good luck and keep us posted.
    Momma of 2 precious boys

ten yr old and 4 mth old born at 33 weeks
    born at 7 lbs 15 0z and 5 lbs 3 oz -

"Before you were conceived we wanted you. Before you were born we loved you. Before you were here an hour we would give our lives for you. This is the miracle of life"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Drake View Post
    The thought of giving up breaks my heart but I'm a wreck and I can't carry on like this forever.
    You've already received good advice about treating the physical issues at play, and I would just like to add a bit of emotional advice and support. The early weeks and months can be simultaneously the slowest and fastest moving time of your life -- you are necessarily focused on what is right in front of you and this enormous transition you are in the midst of. Take a deep breath, step outside if you can, and take a moment to remind yourself that YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO CARRY ON LIKE THIS FOREVER. As overwhelming as it feels right now, as painful as it is, I promise you -- because I have experienced it, and because I have seen a multitude of other women experience it -- you will one day look back and realize that you faced a tremendous challenge, you stepped up in the face of what was trying to knock you down, and you dedicated yourself to what you knew was best for your child (and by extension, I might add, you).

You are stronger than you feel right now -- you have already managed through 3 1/2 weeks of pain and frustration. Instead of making you weaker, your challenges will make you stronger.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Lorenzo's Mama, what beautiful insight Drake's mom, you can do this! Very good advice from the pp on printing off the all-purpose nipple cream. Here's the laundry list of his help topics, lots of them are very helpful!
    I heard G; violet is very staining--something to keep in mind for your clothes and baby's clothes.
    This may not be necessary in your case, but I too felt overwhelmed for a long time, and am now being treated for postpartum depression. It helps There's a PPD forum here on LLL, and Durhamgrrl posted a very helpful self-assessment tool in the sticky. As she said, if anything it can help you realize things are going better than you thought!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Drake View Post
    I would be grateful for any help I can get as I feel like I've tried so hard and am getting nowhere.

I have a 3 1/2 week old baby and breastfeeding is going well for her (she is gaining weight well) but badly for me. We had some latch problems at the start and I gor 2 giant cracks that turned into ulcers on the outside of each nipple. I got some help and my latches, I am now assured, are fine, but the cracks weren't healing. The pain from feeding was really excruciating.

I saw my GP who diagnosed thrush and gave me some cream and I've been airing my nipples constantly while in the house. The cracks are starting to improve after a week, but I am getting new cracks on the inside of my nipples that are causing me horrible pain as the baby laps; these seem to be getting worse not better.

Does anyone know why I'm getting these new cracks? I don't think I can make the latches any better. I can't cope with the awful pain much longer. I'm in tears every day. I'm going to carry on until friday, but if there is no improvement I don't think I can continue. These new cracks will be the end of it if I can't get them to heal. The thought of giving up breaks my heart but I'm a wreck and I can't carry on like this forever.

Thanks

xx
    That certainly sounds frustrating and painful!

I wonder what positions you're using to nurse baby? Sometimes switching baby around can really help..football hold is a good one... did baby get checked for tounge tie? What caused your GP to think it was thrush?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you guys for all your advice and support. I'm not sure my doc is too with it as she didn't suggest treating baby, but I bought some stuff and have been treating her since Saturday. I was advised to look at Dr Newman's website by the LLL advice line and I showed the ointment list to the doc but she wasn't keen. I'm going to push for a course of fluconazole; not ideal as it goes in the milk but I need to get this sorted.

Thanks for the emotional advice. I feel caught in between a rock and a hard place as the thought of giving formula makes me feel sick but sometimes I can't even face the next feed. I have some plans for this week, though. I'm def fully breastfeeding until friday. I will try to go to a LLL meeting for some support and if the nipples are still bad at the weekend we may do 24 hours expressing with a bottle to rest them; I think/hope by 4 weeks she should be established enough on the breast to take this. We already tried cup/syringe feeding last week but the weather here is boiling and her intake wasn't enough with it all going over her and she got dehydrated.

I'll let you know how it goes, and buy some lanolin!

xx

I'm sorry your having a hard time with cracks they sometimes can take a while to heal..
    ITs ok to take what ever your doctor says is ok for pain!

Hang in there.