Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screaming baby

Default Screaming baby

Yesterday like clockwork my 6 week old would wake up 2 hours after the start of feeding, while she looked sound asleep, and just scream. This happened at every feeding time. When she nurses she eats for at least 18 minutes to 35 minutes, so I think she is getting enough milk. (Breasts feel softer, lighter and not engorged).

Any thoughts??? Also, it seemed like she went through a growth spurt last week, can this happen a couple weeks in a row? Could she be sick?

Default Re: Screaming baby

awe she is little yet.
    I'm sure things are going to get beter. I might just be a stage.
    Have you just started laying her down with she was sleeping?

We have been laying her down from day one but lately she just wants to be held. Lots of tooting yesterday too.

silly question but are you burping her after every feed?

when my little ones would fall asleep I didn't want to burp them and risk waking them. But they got really gassy and it would hurt their tummy's if I didn't.
    (sounds like I have twins, I don't but it was true for both my kids - two years apart)
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Not a silly question. We burp her, but sometimes there isn't any burps....should I keep trying until I get one or two?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*susieq8181 View Post
    Not a silly question. We burp her, but sometimes there isn't any burps....should I keep trying until I get one or two?
    I would. Sounds like it could be gas that is causing her troubles.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Should I be worried about GERD (reflux)?? She doesn't spit up, but I just read about silent reflux. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

She does choke/gag at least once in the beginning of a feeding. I just thought that the milk was coming too fast for her though. And she usually gets hiccups after a feeding.

Sorry, just a worried new mom here.

Sounds like you could have OALD/OS. This link might be helpful http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Sounds like gas to me. Burp the best you can even if baby is sleepy. I also have 2 very gassy boys. I have still let DS2 sleep without burping sometimes and always pay later. So hard sometimes when they look so peaceful I have also heard they get gassy these early weeks due to just growing. It'll pass soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*susieq8181 View Post
    Should I be worried about GERD (reflux)?? She doesn't spit up, but I just read about silent reflux. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

She does choke/gag at least once in the beginning of a feeding. I just thought that the milk was coming too fast for her though. And she usually gets hiccups after a feeding.

Sorry, just a worried new mom here.
    I wouldn't say you should be worried about GER, but I would definitely have talk with your baby's doctor if things don't improve or get worse over the course of a week or so. 8 weeks is a common time for GER to start to show itself, so just observe and if you feel like you need to rule it out, don't hesitate to go to the doctor.

In the meantime, you might experiment with keeping her upright after nursing for 20-30 minutes and or lay her down to sleep on a slightly (about 30 degree) elevated surface. If it is GER, some babies are helped by having gravity help them keep things down.

It's really tough to hear your little one scream and not know what's happening... Hang in there....
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb