Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 week old still wanting to nurse all day long

Default 8 week old still wanting to nurse all day long

My DD is 8 weeks old and ever since we brought her home from the hospital she wants to nurse ALL DAY LONG EVERYDAY. If I need to take her to the dr. or a quick trip to the store I have to give her 3oz of formula just so we can leave the house. I bought a My Brest Friend support pillow and she nurses/sleeps on that (which is attached to me) all day long! If I hand her off to DH while I take a quick bathroom break or a quick shower, she cries. If I place her in her swing or bouncy chair, she cries. Pretty much she cries unless she is nursing or sleeping on me. Will she ever grow out of this?

It doesn't bother me too much that she wants to nurse 24/7. What bothers me the most is when DH and MIL say BF is selfish because that's all she wants to do and no one can hold her but me. MIL also criticizes about how I need to just let her cry and not pick her up instantly. She thinks that's why she is so attached to me. She says I need to start letting her sleep in the crib and not co sleep because it will help her not be as attached. I'm getting so frustrated and never know what to say!! Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

Default Re: 8 week old still wanting to nurse all day long

Why are you giving her formula to leave the house?

It is perfectly normal for newborns to want their mother 24/7. Nobody said this Mommy stuff was easy. BUT, it does get easier.

My best advice is to set boundaries with the MIL now...something along the lines of, "I appreciate you wanting to help, I do....but in the future I'll ask for advice if I'm looking for it. The pressure of being a new mother is hard enough - unsolicited advice can make it intolerable at times. I know you can understand." That and/or ignore her.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

If I don't give her a bottle before we leave the house (which is why weve only left the house maybe 4 times lol) is because she will cry/scream the entire car ride until I give her the boob. I hate giving her formula but its the only way...And I would pump and give her that but I can't because she is on me 24/7.

being attached to mama is NORMAL and HEALTHY. Babies know mamas smell, mamas voice, and mamas milk is more than just nourishment. It is emotional comfort and development. It is a myth and wives tale from the previous generation that holding a baby too much may "spoil" them. THe opposite is true.
    You need to set boundaries with in-laws NOW, because otherwise they will get more and more difficult. Trust me, there is a whole venting thread on here just about in-laws.The more attached babies are now, the more confident and independent they will be later. It is their biological need and requirement to be held and to nurse. With that said, there is no reason baby cannot cry a bit with daddy after a feeding, so that you can take a shower. Obviously you need to juggle some needs. Cherish these moments though. My 1 year old is already all about daddy, and it breaks my heart. He is also mister independent, and I literally wore him in a sling nonstop for 7 months!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

would like to add that breastfeeding is not selfish. It is the normal way babies are meant to be nourished, and the only way they were nourished for thousands upon thousands of years. It is species specific. It is more than just nourishment, it is emotional growth and development.

Sometimes they cry in the car for other reasons, not because they are hungry. My guy screamed in the car for any ride for the first 6 months. Some just hate the car. I would limit trips and talk/sing to him when we had to be in the car. With my first, I would nurse him before, during, and after trips. It seems demanding, but it will be over in the blink of an eye. You will miss being needed so much, trust me, you will look at your 3 year old and wonder where your baby went.

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cnhert View Post
    If I don't give her a bottle before we leave the house (which is why weve only left the house maybe 4 times lol) is because she will cry/scream the entire car ride until I give her the boob. I hate giving her formula but its the only way...And I would pump and give her that but I can't because she is on me 24/7.
    Why can't you just pack up the car and nurse before leaving?

I had two ultra-high-need nurse around the clock girls. At 3 months old, things got a bit easier. At 6 months, a whole lot easier.

The formula is just going to hurt your supply.

Might I suggest wearing her in a sling/carrier? This made my life a lot easier in those early months!

FYI, my kids HATED the car...no matter what. I know how hard that is.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Oh gosh, I feel your pain. Joe would not sleep anywhere except ON MY PERSON for a long time. It was a big deal when we graduated to him sleeping on the bed NEXT TO ME, instead of on my chest all night. You are not alone!

It does get better. Traditionally, it starts to get a little better around two to three months. So just hold off your MIL for that long, and things may improve. (However, I agree with the prior poster - some limits and boundaries may be called for here, as your MIL's comments are out of line!)

I learned how to breastfeed my baby leaning over him while sitting in the passenger seat next to him on drives. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I learned how to breastfeed my baby leaning over him while sitting in the passenger seat next to him on drives. Desperate times call for desperate measures!
    hover nursing in the car, my midwife suggested it...done it many times with both boys

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Pretty much she cries unless she is nursing or sleeping on me. Will she ever grow out of this?
    She will! Have you explored the possibility of acid reflux as a cause for the constant nursing?

It doesn't bother me too much that she wants to nurse 24/7.
    Yay!!! Not too many moms are as giving as you are. Way to go, Mama!

What bothers me the most is when DH and MIL say BF is selfish because that's all she wants to do and no one can hold her but me. MIL also criticizes about how I need to just let her cry and not pick her up instantly. She thinks that's why she is so attached to me. She says I need to start letting her sleep in the crib and not co sleep because it will help her not be as attached. I'm getting so frustrated and never know what to say!! Any advise is greatly appreciated!!
    Wow, your MIL is a piece of work! Why in the world would you want your baby not to be attached to you? I'm with nolamomma that now is the perfect time to draw a line in the sand over parenting advice. Because it will never stop until you can make it stop. And if you draw the line in the sand and she steps over it anyway- you just can't stop some people!- then it's time to start ignoring her.

As for your husband, he needs to get with the program. This demanding time in your baby's life will pass. Until it does, his job is to support you. And just because he can't feed the baby doesn't mean he can't change her diaper, and walk her around in a sling, and cuddle with both of you while you nurse her.

Stay strong, Mama! You are doing the best thing ever for your baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks guys for all the support! MIL is coming over this weekend and I think its time for me to stick up for my choices! I will let you all know what happens. I will also explain to DH that she will grow out of this soon and he needs to support me more! I will do some research on acid relux and see if that could be the issue. Thanks again for all your adivse!