Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When you're told a year is IT.

Default Re: When you're told a year is IT.

Ha! Sorry I totally didn't catch that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

No worries.

Sorry about the

I would think you should be able to nurse on demand when you're together and ditch the pump too.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

What everyone is telling you is great - and it has been working for us. I stopped pumping at a year, and when we are together she nurses A LOT (on my lap right now), on the days I work she doesn't seem to miss me. The first couple of days were uncomfortable, mostly because I felt guilty for not pumping.

Since you are working longer shifts, you will definitely wnat to ease off on the pumping instead of going cold turkey I think - I only had one pump session during the day to drop. I replaced my morning and evening pumping session with my little one...
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Yes, so putting aside that crappy remark, I highly recommend pump-weaning around a year or so (whenever you feel comfortable), because being able to breastfeed, without having to pump, totally rocks!

I started pump-weaning around eleven months and was totally pump-weaned by a year. At eleven months I was pumping twice a day, and my morning pumping was the more productive pumping. So I first eliminated the afternoon pumping, almost cold turkey, with no problems. It wasn't that big a deal to go from pumping at three to just nursing my LO at 5:30 when I got home.

It took longer to wean off that productive morning session. I did it by gradually pushing that one pumping later and later in the day (my job is pretty flexible, which helps), and then making it shorter and shorter. It took about four weeks to gradually wean off that one pumping. I tried to do it faster and got a clogged duct, so then I took it very slowly.

I still pump when I have to attend night meetings (I work for cities, so I have to go to evening meetings) just to avoid feeling uncomfortably full during a meeting when I really need to be focused.

But, oh, life is so much easier now that I can breastfeed on demand at home without having to pump all day at work! I'm getting more work done and I'm able to go home sooner!

Good luck!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am so grateful for all the help! I really thought I would have to wean. I've already been able to extend my pumping sessions a bit. I'm just paranoid cause I've had soooo much struggle with supply and am dependent on Dom.

I can't tell you how much grief I get at work. I was recently forced to move to midnights. They "say" it was due to my being the best one to move. I KNOW it's because I'm pumping, days are busier and they don't like me leaving. My DH works evenings so it's
    made childcare SO hard to find.

I don't get breaks other than restroom. I'm sure they won't know if I go once or twice. I work for the government and have seen the law it does specify that my job is only required to allow that time up untill the Childs first birthday. They could even add up the time I take each day and take it out of my paid hours. Oh well.

I am going to try and start pump weaning around 11 months. We'll figure something out.

I'm so sorry you are in this situation. I am very lucky in that my employer would allow me to pump for the rest of my career if I wanted to.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Pump right before your shift in your car, on your lunch, and immediately after work in your car. You can cluster pump in the evening or morning if you need to on your work days.
    And I would mention the mastitis risk : )

I work twelves too. This is what I have to do on days I am CRAZY busy at work.. I work as an RN in a very hectic NICU.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

I agree that you should be okay to pump wean and nurse when you're together, although you might have some discomfort and want to hand express some in the bathroom mid-shift.
    I would be vigilant about preventing/immediately treating plugged ducts if you've ever had problems with them.
    I cannot believe that employers expect people to go 12 hours without eating anything! I would pass out.
    And FTR at your boss.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I am so sorry your boss said that. I agree that, as long as you are doing your job and making up any pumping time - and AS LONG AS SMOKING CO-WORKERS DON'T GET THE TIME FOR FREE! - it is absolutely none of your boss' business when you wean, whether just from pumping or completely. I agree that you should pump in the bathroom, even just a quick pump to get an ounce or two for your comfort, in the bathroom as needed.

That said, how often does your baby nurse? My son still nurses 6-8x/day minimum at almost a year, and I'm with him most of the time. Twice recently I went 8-9hrs without nursing/pumping, and I was IN PAIN and had clogged duct issues for a few days after each time as a result. Is there a threshold for number of nursings per day below which you can go more hours without issues? It just sounds painful to me to do a 12hr shift without nursing at least a couple of times during that time...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Good to know. I'll be in Jackson this week and was a little worried about being in a restaurant. I guess I'll just nurse her and not worry about it. It sure would be surprising to get arrested for feeding my child.
    For feeding your child in a restaurant!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?