Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When you're told a year is IT.

Default Re: When you're told a year is IT.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mpprincess View Post
    I'm worried that my supply would tank I suppose. Not to mention my schedule is so wacky my body is always confused, work 2 off 2, work 3 off 2, work 2 off 3.

Do you think it'd be terribly uncomfortable to go an entire 12hrs away with no relief or should I not get as full by then due to him eating solids? Don't get me wrong....I hate to pump, if I can stop and still have the supply to feed my son while I'm with him that'd be FANTASTIC!!!!
    Nope. I think it will be fine. On the days I worked I was always away from him from 10-12hours and I just fed him in the morning, right when I got home, and through the night. On my two days off I fed him MORE because I also nursed him up and down for nap. It was fine. I was full when I was away but never engorged. And I always kept up. And I never had pumping. I literally went from being home with him for 14months and always nursing on demand to being away from him 5 days a week 40-50hours a week. I had no where to pump at my job. So I never could even try. It was fine. Trust your body. You were meant to do this.

Way too lazy for formula

I wouldn't worry about your supply, it should be fine by that point.I just recently went back to work and my LO is a year... granted I don't have the same shifts you do But I work every other day and I'm gone for about 9 hours each time. Been back for a month now and no issues with my supply... near the end of the day I'll start feeling a little full but my LO latches on and stays still for about 20 mins draining me ... The reason I don't pump is that We have found My DD absolutely refuses BM from another source(doesn't matter whether it's pumped & frozen or pumped that morning). From my understanding she just grazes on food all day and takes water out of a cup(thats the only liquid she'll take on her own)... But if I don't feed her within 2 seconds of entering that door and she see's me she flips.
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

I don't pump at work anymore but pump on my way home from work and get enough for two bottles the next day I quit pumping at work a few months back wheni realized it caused less headaches and I was getting more milk by only pumping once this may not work for everyone but trust your body my lo doesn't nurse much during the day so my body is used to not
    making milk from 9-5 he is one as of last week and I'm sad to start pump weaning because it is the beginning of the end of nursing lol

Ds2 nurses until he was four yrs I never thought I would nurse that long either but as the yrs passed it was natural don't dismiss extended bfing yet you may change your mind or ur lo may wean around 2 anyway not all toddlers nurse that long but some nurse even longer one of my good friends is proud to say she was nursed until 7 years old her mom is a retired Leader lol

Good luck with your boss!
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Oh good. Someone nursed until they were 7? Now I don't feel soooo.....beyond one.

Way too lazy for formula

I do not think any state has any laws regarding how long a mother is legally protected regarding pumping, or nursing a toddler in public, or anything else regarding breastfeeding. That would be the part that bugs me the most...this boss has a problem with you pumping, and he's starting to apply pressure on something that is probably not his business. And for that, I would look up the law and see.

Then I would decide....do I continue pumping, maybe not every 2-3 hours, but maybe going to every 4-5, or do I quit entirely and just nurse on demand when we are together?

FWIW, I usually stop pumping entirely around 12 months. I also work a very crazy schedule that's about to get even weirder, starting this weekend, and it always has worked out.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Tennessee actually limits nursing in public to a year. The law says something like breastfeeding mothers are protected from prosecution for NIP for the first 12 months.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Tennessee actually limits nursing in public to a year. The law says something like breastfeeding mothers are protected from prosecution for NIP for the first 12 months.
    I never worried about it, though. I figured they probably wouldn't ask for a birth certificate.

As for pumping, by the time your LO is one, like the pps said, you won't really need to pump to keep your supply up. That said, if you want to keep pumping you should be able to on your breaks. It isn't really your boss's business what you do on your breaks, that is your time.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I never worried about it, though. I figured they probably wouldn't ask for a birth certificate.
    Good to know. I'll be in Jackson this week and was a little worried about being in a restaurant. I guess I'll just nurse her and not worry about it. It sure would be surprising to get arrested for feeding my child.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I don't think they'd arrest you, you just aren't specifically protected from getting kicked out of public places. Still I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I don't think they'd arrest you, you just aren't specifically protected from getting kicked out of public places. Still I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
    I was just kidding.
    Tracie

Mommy to