Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When you're told a year is IT.

Default When you're told a year is IT.

I've so far made it seven months! We went throught TONS of supply issues and pumping issues and we've now found a very VERY happy place with nursing. I'm really loving it. My boss tells me the other day he can't wait till my son turns a year so I can be done pumping. He proceedes to tell me that I'm only "protected by law" to pump at work untill my son is a year old. So in other words they will no longer provide me space/time to do it on my 12hr shift.

I don't want a time limit to be put on something that is so very up to my child. I don't intend on nursing untill he's three...no offense to anyone who does, but if we aren't done at a year that should be my baby's choice.

I don't know what to do and am trying to prepare myself ahead of time.

Default Re: When you're told a year is IT.

Actually the year point is a fine to time to pump wean. Most mothers who have been successfully nursing for a full year can let the pump go. In that your body at that point can be trusted to regulate supply and demand based only on when you are together. And you can continue to feed while together. By that point your child will be eating solids while away from you and breastmilk while away from you won't be as important as it won't be the only form of food she gets. As long at your child is still nursing at least 3-5x in a 24hour period that is enough breastmilk that it doesn't need to be replace or supplemented with cows milk. (After the year point) My son was away from 5days a week at 14months. I didn't pump at all and he didn't drink cows milk. He ate real food and drank water in a sippy while away from me and we breastfed on demand while together.
    If you feel like you really WANT to continue to give her breastmilk during the day than begin to build a freezer stash now. But most women are happy to give up the pump when they can. At a year you can.
    And truthfully you probably won't wean anywhere near a year if you are listening to your child's que's. A child won't usually walk away from the breast on their own until after their 2nd b-day. And there are both sets of molars to get through. But you may find that at the point you give up the pump and only feed while together, that the may relive some pressure and make it easier to continue.

Way too lazy for formula

I'm worried that my supply would tank I suppose. Not to mention my schedule is so wacky my body is always confused, work 2 off 2, work 3 off 2, work 2 off 3.

Do you think it'd be terribly uncomfortable to go an entire 12hrs away with no relief or should I not get as full by then due to him eating solids? Don't get me wrong....I hate to pump, if I can stop and still have the supply to feed my son while I'm with him that'd be FANTASTIC!!!!

By the time baby is one your supply is really well established! You can pretty much do what you want! If you will need to stop pumping, I'd cut down slowly - I think they recommend one pumping session per week? Working/pumping mamas can fill you in more there than I can. At this point your body is very used to the supply/demand process and will adapt nicely to what ever you decide to do. You won't totally lose your supply if you stop pumping at work as long as little one is nursing outside working hours. And as long as a toddler nurses at least 3-4 times a day you don't need to offer any milk substitutes.

ETA: With your 2 on - 2 off etc type schedule, you might notice a bit of fullness when you go back after a couple of days off, but it shouldn't be anything like engorgement. Your body will get used to it. You also don't have to worry about there being milk there on certain days, the breasts are never really "empty". If baby nurses, milk will be made.

Congrats on making it as far as you have! You're doing such a great thing for your baby.
    Last edited by @llli*sentimental.geek; June 27th, 2010 at 04:02 AM.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Do you get a lunch break? I think my boss expects me to quit pumping at a year, too, but who is to tell you what you do on your lunch break? I think your schedule actually sounds good for keeping up your supply because when you are together for 2 days you'll be able to bring it back up if it dropped while you were at work.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    Do you get a lunch break? I think my boss expects me to quit pumping at a year, too, but who is to tell you what you do on your lunch break? I think your schedule actually sounds good for keeping up your supply because when you are together for 2 days you'll be able to bring it back up if it dropped while you were at work.
    No, I work emergency services and we get potty breaks but that's about it. I'm thinking I could probably get away with one maaaaaybe two breaks to pump if I need without anyone having a problem, just not the every two or three hours.

do your co-workers smoke? they would take a break to smoke from time to time....
    and they get that break!
    I bet you will do just fine with pumping once or maybe 2 times at work as you get closer to a year and your child is taking more solids.

explain to your boss that you may be able to cut back pumping but it will have to be slowly over time. Otherwise you risk mastitis and missing whole days of work and not just 20 minutes to pump.

That was a nasty kinda thing for you boss you tell you imho. I would have gotten my feathers ruffled.

Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Have you checked into the law yourself? Your boss maybe misinformed of the laws in your particular state.

Your boss obviously sees your pumping as a problem. It might be helpful to develop your pump weaning plan and then sit down with the boss and possibly hr(for a witness) and discuss your plan of action.

FWIW, I was away from my ds1 for 10 hour days 5 days a week. We pump weaned around a year because I was tired of lugging my pump back and forth. He continued to nurse when we were together, until he gave it up on his own. Nursing actually became more enjoyable when I wasn't pumping.
    Last edited by @llli*mom2a; June 27th, 2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    Your boss obviously sees your pumping as a problem. It might be helpful to develop your pump weaning plan and then sit down with the boss and possibly hr(for a witness) and discuss your plan of action.
    This sounds like a good suggestion to me. Having HR in on it may avert some of the pressure going forward.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--