Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting over

Exclamation Starting over

I want to say first that my son has acid reflux and I work full time. I started to notice that my supply was going down so for his sake we started to put him on formula. Since we started that he has had episodes where he turned blue and he is spitting up. I want to start BF again because of all this but, my supply seems to be nearly gone. Does anyone have any pointers on doing this? I am already putting him to breast before I give him a bottle of the frozen breastmilk and I have requested an extra break period to pump at work which I hope to get. What else can I do to bring myself but from the brink of nothing?

Default Re: Starting over

I'm so sorry your son is having trouble. How old is he? Are you still producing a little bit of milk at this point? It is possible to build back up a supply. How long did you nurse before switching to the formula? The best thing to do to build supply is nurse, nurse, nurse. And when you can't nurse, pumping as much as possible is the next best option. When you are with your son, put him to the breast as frequently as possible. If you are able to manage it, you can also pump after each breastfeeding. Even if you are not getting any milk out, the increased stimulation tells your body that it needs to make more milk. You can also try cosleeping so that your son will nurse more during the night. Night feedings seem to be particularly good for increasing/maintaining supply. Many mothers find herbal supplements helpful. I have used fenugreek in the past and it was definitely helpful to increase my supply. The Breastfeeding Answer Book lists 2-4 capsules 3x per day as a recommended dosage. I know other mothers have also used Blessed Thistle, alone or along with fenugreek. You may also want to check out the section of this forum titled Increasing Your Milk for more ideas. HTH!

My ds is about 12 wks. He has been succefull up until lately. I am still producing some but hope I am not to late. I feel overwhelmed because it feels like starting at day 1 again and it took us about 2 wks to get it all straightened out the last time. He was jaundice and we gavehim bottles since I was still producing colustrum for about a wk.

You are not at all too late. If you have any supply you should be able to increase it. I pumped only three times a day for about the first two months, and then decided to try ebf, and was able to increase my supply. It took about a month and a half or two months to get there, but now I am ebf and she is 4 mo. old. I just pumped every time after I tried to feed her and treid to feed her as frequently as possible. I was also told to eat a lot of oatmeal. I don't know if that helped or nto, but it didn't hurt! Good luck, and don't giv up!

It's not too late at all! My DS was FOUR months old when I started relactating and now we're up to about 2 oz a day of expressed milk AND nursing at least once a day! I would probably have more milk but between severe PPD (undiagnosed when I first started), colds and withdrawl from my PPD meds (I was sick for two whole weeks when I ran out), I slacked big time. I was completely dried out as I hadn't nursed since he was 2 days old... Please come join us down in the relactation forum. You'll find lots of wonderful advice there!

First, nurse a TON! Andpump for 5-10 after every nursing, even if he doesn't nurse. Praise him greatly if and when he does nurse, even if he only licks! That's how I got my DS back to the breast... It took 2 months of praising him every time he even touch my nipple with his mouth... And then one day he did it and hasn't looked back since!!

Herbs can help greatly. Fenugreek and blessed thistle. I take More Milk Plus (motherlove.com), Domperidone (drug that I get from New Zeland to build supply) and extra fenugreek (MMP has some in it but I take extra).

Oatmeal can help! Use the kind you have to cook, not the instant. Eat 3 cups a day (you can break this down into 1 cup snacks). Make some homemade oatmeal cookies or bars and snack on them throughout the day and night.

Water - Don't overdrink yourself. Only drink to thirst. Too much water can decrease supply.

Invest in a supplemental nursing system and encourage that baby to nurse! You can get an SNS from ebay for fairly cheap or if you get WIC, they should be able to get you one for cheap or free.

Good luck! I hope to see you down in the relactation forum!!