Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will it ever level out? :(

Default Will it ever level out? :(

I have an oversupply. My 3 month old is gaining weight like a champ (he is just about doubled his birth weight at 3 months), we have about 12-14 wet diapers a day (cloth) and 1 huge poopie (yellow) diaper a day.

Now, he nurses about every 2.5 hrs during the day (it varies a bit), and then he sleeps for 8-9 hrs at night without waking up. Every morning I wake up with my breasts rock hard and my breast pads soaked through. He eats a large meal in the morning, but then I still have to pump in order to feel comfortable, and I get about 6-7oz AFTER he eats.

Will this ever level out??? What can I do, if anything?
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: Will it ever level out? :(

There are a couple of things you can do to make this less hard on you right now. And there is hope for actual really leveling it (it will at some point I promise usually around 6 months-ish).

I hate to say this, but the first thing you have to do is walk away from the pump. Your body basically works on demand. Every time you pump you are telling your body to make more milk. Sometimes, if it is unbearable you can pump just a smidge, but no more. It will be uncomfortable in the short term, but your best bet is block feeding.

Mothers who are working to remedy oversupply usually need to decrease supply without decreasing overall nursing frequency or weaning baby. One way to accomplish this is by "block nursing" - mom nurses baby as frequently as usual but restricts baby to one breast for a set period of time (often 3-4 hours but sometimes longer) before switching sides. In this way, more milk accumulates in the breast before mom switches sides (thus slowing milk production) but baby's nursing frequency is not limited.
    This will help and it will get better.

ETA - this is an interesting recent thread
    Last edited by @llli*durhamgrrl; June 26th, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

it will get better!
    I had oversupply and I blockfed and it worked.
    I still had quite a lot until 6 mos or so...but now sometimes I miss all that abundance!
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Step away from the pump mama. You might pump 7 ounces out today, 6 ounces out tomorrow, decreasing it my one ounce every day until you stop pumping. When you pump, you're telling your body that you NEED that milk.

Sounds painful. And for you that baby sleeps so long at night.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

with the PPs. Step away from the pump. You can try decreasing the amount you pump gradually- 1 oz per day as suggested by the PP- or you can go faster and either pump the minimum necessary to restore comfort or not pump at all. The only way your body is going to get the message to stop making so much milk is if you leave as much milk as possible in the breast.

Hang in there! It takes a while to manage oversupply, but if you stick with it you should get where you want to go.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post

Step away from the pump mama. You might pump 7 ounces out today, 6 ounces out tomorrow, decreasing it my one ounce every day until you stop pumping. When you pump, you're telling your body that you NEED that milk.

Sounds painful. And for you that baby sleeps so long at night.
    ITA! If you need to pump, only pump what you need to feel comfortable. Unless you have a crazy larger amount than 7 oz in there, pumping that much will only tell your body to do it again, every morning.

How are you doing mama?

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Doing ok
    I bought more absorbent breast pads ) So I wear them at night now.
    I pretty much stopped pumping! Except for when I am away from Kai and its to replace the nursing session.
    Still feel overfilled in the mornings, but I think its getting better!
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Family beds are awesome

It will get better. I think it was at about 5 months when I could ditch the pads and not leak all over the place.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn