Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I wonder if I should wean...

Default I wonder if I should wean...

I have one girl that will be 3 tomorrow and one that will be 2 in July. I am tandem nursing them. I recently took them to the dentist because I noticed a little tooth decay at the top of the milk teeth. The dentist said that they needed to be put under for surgery and tooth colored caps to be put on the 4 milk teeth for both of them. I never give juice, rarely give candy always brush teeth before bed and when they get up. The only thing that explains the decay is breast milk pooling in their mouth while going to sleep or nursing at night. Has anyone else experienced this or know of a way to prevent more cavities. They rarely fall asleep with out nursing. Should I wean them?

Default Re: I wonder if I should wean...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*peachez323 View Post
    I have one girl that will be 3 tomorrow and one that will be 2 in July. I am tandem nursing them.
    Way to go, Mama!

I'm sorry your LOs have some tooth decay. I wouldn't blame breast milk, though: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

Some kids are just more prone to cavities than others. My kid night-nursed until age 2, never had her teeth brushed (because I am lazy), and at age 4 has never had a cavity. I have a friend whose breastfed child had his teeth brushed from early on, yet needed a full set of caps by 18 months.

If you feel like nursing is responsible for the tooth decay, you could always night-wean, and keep the daytime nursing going.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: I wonder if I should wean...

If it is a Bacteria like the article says is there a way to get rid of it? I have 5 kids 9, 7, 6, 3, and almost 2. My 9 year old has never had a cavity. My 7 6 3 and 2 year old are plagued with them. Different father for the younger 4 which is why I kinda buy into the bad genetics causing cavities. My 7 and 6 year old never had them till they were 4. Which is why I thought nursing caused them cause I didnt nurse the 6 and 7 year old past a year.`