Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: She prefers a bottle

Unhappy She prefers a bottle

I'm a single mother of one. My daughter is 3 months old and I'm breastfeeding. I had to go back to work 2 days after she turn 1 month old.
    I've been having trouble with milk production from day one so I've been forced to use supplemental formula sometimes.
    This past week my daughter has been getting really frustrated when I breast feed her. She will not eat. I don't know if maybe my milk is not coming fast enough for her or even at all. I'm feeling frustrated and inadequate. I don't have any help and I need advice.
    Is it going to be like this all the time? What can I do to make it better?
    I don't have a breast pump and I know I need one but don't know where to start.
    Please help

Default Re: She prefers a bottle

HI there,
    I am sorry you are feeling so frustrated and inadequate. It certainly can't be easy being a single, working mom and I'm sure you are doing the best you can!

How do you know that dd is frustrated? What exactly does she do?

You mentioned not having a pump. Do you hand express when away from dd? What does she eat while you are at work? Are you nursing her when you are together?

Do you think there is anyway you could get in touch with a local Leader? We will try to help you here the best we can, but it would be wonderfully helpful for you to speak with someone in person.

You can check here for a Leader in your area:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html

Hang in there! I'm sure things will get better and we will try to give you the support and information that you need.

Thank you for the encouragement.
    I work part time at the moment so I'm not away from her for extended periods of time...only about 4.5 hours a day.
    I do try to hand express but it doesnt seem that it's working well.

When I'm away she eats one formula bottle 4 oz.
    When we're together I nurse her every feeding. Lately she's been crying everytime I try to nurse her. It seems that she doesn't want to latch on, like it's too much work. She turns away and cries.

I would definately be willing to speak with someone in person. I don't like that she's on formula at all (I just haven't had much of an option)and I would really prefer it if she could keep nursing.

Thank you for your help.

i have been having the same problem with my 11-week-old, but i don't give him formula - i give him one bottle a day w/ expressed milk. he seems really fussy at the breast a great deal of the time. i'm also interested to see what others have to say about this...

i understand your frustration. hang in there!

I am sorry you girls are frustrated. I certainly can relate. I am nursing twins and never thought my milk supply would be enough. At around the time they were 4 wks I was going to give in and give formula or stop all together. If I can do it with twins you can too! My suggestions would be to PUMP AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. If you don't have a pump...get one as soon as you can. Even if you have to use a manual pump. I was sixteen with my first son and went to school all day. I used a manual pump becuase that's all I could afford at the time. It did the job. Try and pump just for 5 to 10 minutes even if it's only a couple times a day and you will be surprised what a difference it will make. If your baby is taking bottles make sure and pump when they take the bottle. I never saw a consultant when I was younger but wish I knew of them. I'm sure I would of learned so much more. Please don't give up girls and you are NOT inadequate! Just learning! You're doing what is best for your baby and that is more than so many more are willing to try. Good luck and don't give up.