Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Torn about weaning/ Questions after a PPD haze

Default Re: Torn about weaning/ Questions after a PPD haze

I can't help but wonder if a lot of your worry is being driven by inaccurate weight measurements. If your pediatrician's scale was off, or your baby was weighed on different scales, or he was weighed naked one time and clothed another, that could explain why your baby's weight has seemed to pause for so long. If none of that applies, well, check out this chart: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart2.html Your baby is very much on the chart- not below it.

Around 9 moths I remember he didn't fall asleep breastfeeding anymore and sometimes would be unsettled, like he was still hungry. He'd finish quickly and even my breast wouldn't get as hard and they were softer before feeding.
    As the PPs have said, all of this sounds entirely normal. Being unsettled while nursing could be due to teething, or development, or an ear infection. Having softer breasts is almost always due to the normal adjustment of milk supply to meet the baby's needs precisely, without a lot of extra left over.

You really should not blame yourself for your baby's lack of interest in solid foods. I started solids with my daughter at 6 months, and she still had zero interest in them until well into her second year. There's no window of interest that you missed.

If you're torn about weaning, then IMHO you shouldn't wean. Taking away the one thing that your baby will reliably eat isn't a sure way to get him to gain weight, accept formula or goat's milk, or eat a balanced diet of solid food.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Also, since your baby is now 11 months old, you don't need to nurse constantly to keep your supply up. I think you might be surprised! Your baby is getting plenty of milk even though your breasts may not feel full!

I agree with PPs - my son, who is 13 months, has stayed at pretty much the same weight for six months. This is normal at this age. He's still wearing many of the same clothes, even.

He also hardly eats any solids. Breastfeeding him helps me to feel less anxiety about how little the kid eats. That's one reason I have continued to BF past a year (although I don't pump anymore) - my child doesn't eat solids!

So yes, everything you're describing sounds really normal to me.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Hmm. There is a lot of good reassurance here. Thinking about it now I agree that it would be stupid to throw away the one thing he will eat. It just seems like he doesn't get all he wants. He will get one or two or three really good nurses (suck, swallow all the way through from the beginning) and then the rest of the nursing is suck her a bit, switch sides, suck there a bit, continue for 3 or for more times! Ack!

I am stopping the milk for now. Perhaps I will add just a bit back in to see if it was that or the coconut oil I was giving for more added fat. Isn't it silly, I tried to force it and it only made it worse!

Another question, I understand now about the weight, but his height went from the 75th percentile for most of his first 6 months and is now at the 50th. I was reading doctor sears about undernourishment (when I was really concerned about it) and he said it's not so much worrying about weight but if the height goes down in the charts that that could be a sign of undernourishment.

Thanks so much for all the thoughtful replies! It is good to hear these stories.

Oh, and what about those guides that weight doubles at 6 months and triples at a year. He was 9 lbs at birth (20.5 in) (though I do wonder if the homebirth midwife's spring scale was less than accurate due to his weight being 8.5 lbs at 3.5 wk checkup at the doc. So who knows.) He was 17 lbs at 6 months, almost double. And now 19.8 oz at a year. (30 in) My stringbean!
    Last edited by @llli*eanne; June 25th, 2010 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eanne View Post
    Hmm. There is a lot of good reassurance here. Thinking about it now I agree that it would be stupid to throw away the one thing he will eat. It just seems like he doesn't get all he wants. He will get one or two or three really good nurses (suck, swallow all the way through from the beginning) and then the rest of the nursing is suck her a bit, switch sides, suck there a bit, continue for 3 or for more times! Ack!
    My LO does the same thing. Sometimes he gets a really good feeding in and other times it is just two sucks, a smile and he is on his way
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )