Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 YEARS Later

Default 2 YEARS Later

My son has been weaned for 2 years. I have continuously had colostrum and/or milk discharge since. It is finally down to just a couple drops now and again, but SERIOUSLY?! Is this normal?

I am beginning to suspect I may have a (mild) hormone problem because of some other symptoms. I was reading on wiki and there was a note that a pituitary gland issue can cause women to lactate.

Is this within the range of normal? I don't let my bf touch because I can tell an increase in the milk/discharge!

Default Re: 2 YEARS Later

I'm not sure mama.

I have heard of lots of moms who are able to express small drops of milk for quite a while after weaning, but I've also read that any breast/nipple discharge when not lactating should be checked out by a doctor just to be on the safe side. Could you make an appointment and mention it?
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

I had milk for a very long time cause somebody else besides baby liked that...

My two are almost 12 years apart, and I could still express colostrum when I conceived my second. So, I would say I had that for about 11 years. I asked a couple of doctors about it, and had several tests done, including testing the colostrum itself. They all said it was normal.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

8 years between my youngest boys and still had milk until I got preggo then it turned to colostrum. It is all normal unless it is green or brown I believe is what they told me. My mom said she had milk well into my teenage years. I think extended breastfeeding may be the culprit because women that don't nurse past one year or nurse at all don't seem to have this. Maybe our bodies make milk for so long it just doesn't understand that it should stop completely.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

10 years between DS1 and DS2 and I could express some greenish/yellowish stuff. Yeah, totally normal.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

If you can express a little, then yes, totally normal. If your breasts are leaking spontaneously when you're not trying to express, then that would be more unusual and probably worth checking with the doctor about.

I've often suspected that once that lactation switch gets turned on, it's on, and your breasts never really return to their pre-pregnancy state. They're prepped and ready to lactate again at the drop of a hat. But that's just my personal theory.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; June 25th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

This is upsetting to me. I want my milk gone. I was holding onto the thought that my milk will eventually go away.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    This is upsetting to me. I want my milk gone. I was holding onto the thought that my milk will eventually go away.
    If it really bugs you, there are meds that can dry your milk. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    If you can express a little, then yes, totally normal. If your breasts are leaking spontaneously when you're not trying to express, then that would be more unusual and probably worth checking with the doctor about.

I've often suspected that once that lactation switch gets turned on, it's on, and your breasts never really return to their pre-pregnancy state. They're prepped and ready to lactate again at the drop of a hat. But that's just my personal theory.
    Thank you everyone for the comments - I feel a lot better knowing I'm not alone.

It doesn't "bother" me except worrying that it is not normal. I dried up REALLY fast when my son was young, then relactated and nursed to 14 months. Now any stimulation and it starts up again.

It's never enough to leak or for let-down, really just a few drops. So I guess it is normal and I'll forget about it.

Not exactly forget about it. Reminds me of the "good old" nursing days.